real time web analytics
Information - - The Asylum List - 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | Page 5 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - The Asylum List - 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

samla89

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Did any of these asylums have anti suicide grills on the stairs? Looked through several reports of the big abandoned asylums (cane hill, high royds, west park, mid wales, denbigh etc) and none of them appeared to have this feature. Seems quite odd to me

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Did any of these asylums have anti suicide grills on the stairs? Looked through several reports of the big abandoned asylums (cane hill, high royds, west park, mid wales, denbigh etc) and none of them appeared to have this feature. Seems quite odd to me
The ones I visited all had staircases with quarter turns and no obvious drop to launch onse self down due to the structure. St Bernards did have such cages on the outside fire escapes though.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Stratheden also has caged fire escapes if I remember correct. Most staircases in asylums I've seen were enclosed and not open, the exception being in the admin blocks.

samla89

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The ones I visited all had staircases with quarter turns and no obvious drop to launch onse self down due to the structure. St Bernards did have such cages on the outside fire escapes though.

Denbigh had caged fire escapes and glass panes on the inside stairs now that I remember. Mid Wales however looked to have open staircases

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yes, some of them do.

6A88CD63-23B4-4FC9-B41C-813D6285DBD4.jpeg

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member

A lot of them tended to only be 2 story wards at best. But think people above have highlighted a few. The outdoor bits at Stratheden are a great example you can still see to this day as Brewtal mentions

samla89

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stratheden also has caged fire escapes if I remember correct. Most staircases in asylums I've seen were enclosed and not open, the exception being in the admin blocks.

Purpose built asylums seem to mostly have enclosed staircases, while buildings that became psychiatric hospitals later have grills on the indoor stairs

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Purpose built asylums seem to mostly have enclosed staircases, while buildings that became psychiatric hospitals later have grills on the indoor stairs

It tended to depend on the architect. For instance I believe all of G. T. Hine's asylums had enclosed staircases, both through safety and the limitations of whatever budget he was constrained by from the council of the time as well as to maintain a sense of consistency across his buildings.

Who has read this thread (Total: 1124) View details