real time web analytics
Report - - The Clydebank "Craneathon" March 2011 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Clydebank "Craneathon" March 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The task, to climb the four remaining Clyde Titan cranes in one night. One of the cranes is preserved, one semi preserved and the other two are in a state of disrepair.

The Clyde was once a major industrial river, and the remaining cranes have been kept as a testament to that. Standing proud over the river, some of them remain as the only clue as to the former use of the riverbank.

We started with the old favourite, Greenock. Pretty easy climb. Next was John Browns, which is fully preserved as a viewing platform. A view of what I don't know... there is nothing around to look at other than the river in Clydebank!! Still, it is well preserved and does look good lit up at night. Again an easy climb, but we were spotted by some melingering 'neds' who did not stop yelling at us until we came down again!

The next on the list was a little more tricky... Barclay Curle. Once the gauntlet to get to the base of the crane was complete, it's a fearsome climb and walking on the treadplate at the top is like walking on a tray of cornflakes... if something is not done with the crane in the next few years it will be too far gone to save IMO. Barclay is my favourite of the cranes and despite the fear it was a highlight of the Cranathon.

To finish off we climbed Finnieston, located in the heart of Glasgow. Climbing the crane felt like a museum compared to Barclay, but the view from the top was breathtaking.

So there it is, something I have wanted to do for years... A thoroughly enjoyable night!

cranathon23of23.jpg

cranathon22of23.jpg

cranathon21of23.jpg

cranathon20of23.jpg

cranathon19of23.jpg

cranathon18of23.jpg

cranathon17of23.jpg

cranathon16of23.jpg

cranathon15of23.jpg

cranathon14of23.jpg

cranathon13of23.jpg

cranathon12of23.jpg