real time web analytics
Report - - The Edge - Manchester May 2013 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Edge - Manchester May 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
I've wanted to get in here for ages now, if, for no other reason, than to put my curiosity at bay. I recently found that there was a way in, :D so gave Ojay a shout, as we'd already discussed it and I thought he'd have some idea of what it was and was for, me not having a clue etc. We met up and went for a mooch. It was raining anyway, but when we were in there, it started proper pissing down and the levels began to rise, so we had to keep an eye on things in case a quick exit was needed. It's huge in here, but with no way down, due to all ladders etc. being stolen by our scrap yard visiting friends. After we'd got a few pics, the crashing noise of the water was enough warning to "do one" sharpish like!
A return visit was agreed, with more people/gear, when of course, the weather decides to fucking well perk up a bit. If you knew where it was, you would understand it now being referred to as The Edge.

Technical stuff, of course, nicked from Ojay, ta very much. :thumb

What we have here is a screened CSO housed above and within a large underground storm tank which outfalls into the River a short distance away.
An interceptor sewer which serves the surrounding area enters through a 5ft RCP and runs underneath a screened overflow chamber and exits around 20 metres beyond the backside of the shit tank below.
It's really hard to make out what is going on with the outgoing sewer due to the rising levels
It appears the trunk splits into two channels as it heads under the overflow weir, before heading downstream of a 20m x 10m (approx) shit tank supported by concrete columns and disappears or sumps out behind a curved wall ?
Above the sewer is a small screening chamber/processing room which is home to some 4m archimedes screw type machinery for filtering out the solids
The opposite side of a once barriered weir, below which a continuation of the sewer/shit tank
Any screened discharge from the sewer/shit tank exits via a 4ft stepped overflow via a concrete box a short distance to the river below

On with the crappy pics.

Been wondering what's under here for years.
IMG_0551sCopy_zpscff17ff8.jpg

IMG_0540sCopy_zps8b3b802e.jpg

IMG_0536sCopy_zpsc336194a.jpg

IMG_0535wsCopy_zpsd6055cb0.jpg

IMG_0537aCopy_zpsc8ff94fe.jpg

20130326_152716cCopy_zps538ba19c.jpg

IMG_0554aCopy_zpsbbdca203.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You have quite rightly identified it for what it is, I am just now wondering if it is the same site I am thinking of, in a similarly verdant looking area, that serves a certain recent-ish development nearby a certain northern manchester mill town??