real time web analytics
Report - - The Forum Cinema (aka. ABC / Cannon) - Liverpool - March 2016 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Forum Cinema (aka. ABC / Cannon) - Liverpool - March 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
I have been targeting an explore of this cinema since i originally started looking for them in early 2009. In fact it's fair to say it's been near the top of my list of 'wants' for most of that time too so im delighted to have finally managed to tick it off. Like many cinemas the building has always been quite tight but it was originally explored by Snappel and friends in 2007. In his report little had changed since closure with the building retaining its 'tripled' layout with modern screens in the stalls. It looked epic back then and was largely untouched since closure, it even had popcorn left in the machine! After those guys got in a number of years passed and i didn't really see much more of inside. Rumors floated around that the building had been stripped out and when we did eventually see another report earlier this year from @Gone he also described it as pretty empty..

These rumors had put my expectations down quite a bit, i knew the auditorium remained relatively untouched but i was expecting it to be devoid of anything much more than that, a one room wonder if you like. Oh how wrong i was! (i should know better!) The place is still brimming with interesting bits. Theres the obvious niceties but every part from loft space to basement contained items of interest. We ended up spending 3 or 4 hours inside and even then our hangover eventually forced us to leave without all the desired photos taken and cubby holes raked.​

24001084082_7a4a898585_c.jpg

theatrestrust said:
Impressive cinema-theatre on the corner site of Lime Street and Elliot Street, the entertainment core of Liverpool. Similar to Kentish Town, the Forum in Liverpool was one of the finest super cinemas of the early 1930s, with its bronze canopy, white marble staircase and café The exterior by A E Shennan is three-storey, faced in Portland stone, with vertical windows grouped in twos and threes, set in panels. The corner entrance has windows with pilasters, and a plinth for a flagstaff above. This was remodelled in 1970, removing the canopy, but adding mosaic to the entrance foyer. The interior is one of W R Glen's best. The auditorium ceiling is flat, with central rosette feature; the sides are splayed with ornamental false boxes; the balcony front is curved. The proscenium is square, with a larger ante-proscenium of large vertical flutes within a square floral band. Full stage facilities. In spite of being tripled in 1982, most of the interior remains. Closed January 1998 and bought by a brewery, it still awaits a permanent use. The last proposals in 2007/08 were to convert it to a 'boutique' hotel and supper club, but the plans were later withdrawn.

cinematreasures said:
Opened as the Forum Cinema on 16th May 1931 with Clifford Mollison in “Almost A Honeymoon”. It was designed by William R. Glen and Alfred Ernest Shennan for Associated British Cinemas(ABC) at a cost in excess of 200,000 pounds.

A massive six-storey curved Portland stone facade remains a distinctive and highly prominent feature of Lime Street – one of Liverpools major thoroughfares. The foyer was lined with Italian marble.

The auditorium, in a semi-Atmospheric style, depicted Venetian scenes, contains an amazing proscenium treatment consisting of a vast curved canopy over the arch and the side boxes. Indirect light light was a feature, except for a huge ‘sunburst’ light fitting above the balcony.

A shallow stage was provided together with a Compton 3Manual/12Ranks organ on a lift in front of the stage, which was opened by organist Reginald Foort.

Because of the relatively small width of the site the 1,835 capacity was achieved by having a huge circle containing 750 of the seats.

It was re-named ABC from 17th February 1971 and due to its opulence and excellent location the cinema survived intact until 1982 when it was converted to a three screen operation by installing two mini-cinemas under the balcony seating 272 and 217 seats.

From 1986 it had been re-named Cannon. It closed on 29th January 1998 with a special screening of Humphrey Bogart in “Casablanca”, when a special admission fee of 50p was charged.

There were proposals to convert the building into a conference centre, but these stalled and the building has stood empty since closing. Proposals were put forward in late-2007 to convert it into a ‘boutique’ hotel and supper club, with plans going to Liverpool City Council in July 2008 and if permission was granted, work could start in late-2008. The building remained unused in April 2012.

It is Grade II Listed building
Auditorium - This really is stunning, one of the best ever infact! I'm not really happy with my photos, i should have taken the time to adjust the site lights to get more light on the ceiling but was keen to get round the whole place and didn't even manage that in the end so i guess i will have to go back again. The circle has had some water damage that has been cleaned up but you would hardly know the thing was once two screens, great condition!
24963089673_782985685f_b.jpg

25563656586_e5de582387_b.jpg

25589789725_b187f9f6ba_b.jpg

24959313174_3ccc9db9c1_b.jpg

24959302354_5145a7faa8_b.jpg

Projection Rooms etc. - There was a replacement projection booth at the rear of the circle that still contained a fair few interesting bits. We also headed up to the original booth and although there wasn't too much left it was still quite an interesting mooch around a right warren of a building. We eventually popped out into the loft which was 'can rich' to say the least!
25589797965_677093eaca_b.jpg

25589793065_a0a4806f73_b.jpg

25294201510_21b00fcaa1_b.jpg

24959336494_968f4ff589_b.jpg

25294205120_0f47592767_b.jpg

Front of House - The Foyer and Circle bar areas have been modified slightly over the years with the addition of partitioned offices and kitchen areas but overall it's quite intact. That popcorn is still there too! The walls are covered in a kind of 'speckled' paint effect and on the ceilings this includes some kind of glitter making it sparkle
25471249512_ac06003333_b.jpg

25222293159_7ecae174c6_b.jpg

24959365664_b6ac21efbc_b.jpg

25222296409_344b576b3b_b.jpg

25589819025_f0e9a4cf22_b.jpg

Backstage - The last bit we checked was the backstage areas, this part appeared to have been essentially abandoned for many years before the 1998 closure as it would have been hidden behind the alterations for the second screen. The most interesting find was the remains of the lift and equipment rooms for original Compton organ system but there was also a boiler room, fan room, central vacuum system and a number of dated bathrooms and store areas that had been unused for years​

24963072113_3e62f5c136_b.jpg

24959381174_1cacde0490_b.jpg

24959375444_11352ab623_b.jpg

25563743676_2d3e96de8c_b.jpg

25222325259_1e37b675eb_b.jpg

24963075963_b307854e91_b.jpg

My original list of cinemas is getting a bit thin now but i will take time to mention one other that is currently in dire need of some explorer attention. The Futurist is just across the road from the Forum and it looks like demolitions is imminent with asbestos removal guys working in the same row of buildings preparing them all for demolition. Please dont let that one get away as there is next to no pictures or information on the inside to be found old or current. Consider it a challenge!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nice, doesn't look very belled up does it :D

I'm not sure the auditorium is as nice as Hulme hippodrome, although it's certainly better than most that remain standing

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate, I have very fond memories of this place as a kid, saw my first ever film in here!

I did try the Futurist a few months ago, managed to get into the building but only onto the ground floor in what looked to be an old arcade judging by the rows of plugs on the walls.. couldn't for the life of us find any way up to the first floor and auditorium so presume access to that area is via the building next door which was well sealed at the time. Hopefully try again soon though and maybe have a bit more luck

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Sounds like you were in next door tbh

Nice report mate, I have very fond memories of this place as a kid, saw my first ever film in here!

I did try the Futurist a few months ago, managed to get into the building but only onto the ground floor in what looked to be an old arcade judging by the rows of plugs on the walls.. couldn't for the life of us find any way up to the first floor and auditorium so presume access to that area is via the building next door which was well sealed at the time. Hopefully try again soon though and maybe have a bit more luck

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sounds like you were in next door tbh

We thought that at first so poked a little plastic fork out of the wooden boards to see were we actually were when we looked at the front and it was the right building. I do recall there was an arcade there years back so maybe that was isolated from the theatre building sometime after it closed