real time web analytics
Report - - The Gaumount Cinema - Worcester - Nov 2021 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Gaumount Cinema - Worcester - Nov 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Another of the post covid Buzz bingo closures, i had checked this cinema out not long after permanent closure was announced in Summer 2020. Of course at the time it was still well looked after with its alarm box flashing and no sign of a simple way in. Fast forward a year and the situation seems to be quite different. I was surprised when i finally got round to checking it again that i didn't find a metalled up fortress, quite the opposite in fact! After an opportunist tug on the front door it just swang straight open.... Ok then!

Sadly thats about as far as my luck took me initially. You see the door didn't get me into the bingo club it got me into the circle bar area which had been used as a judo club. The doors to get into the bingo club were all sadly locked tight and after a couple of hours wondering how else i could make it happen i was faced with two options....

A few nights later i returned with @dweeb in tow and we made it through to the auditorium. Sadly not the best auditorium even before it had had its bingo treatment and a horrid false ceiling installed. After snapping a couple of quick shots we continued through to the back stage area and it started to get a bit more interesting. The original organ chambers were totally empty, it looked as if they may have been re-purposed as dressing rooms at one point but it was hard to tell. It was possible however to get through under the false stage and see the remains of the organ console lift and see the curved floor and bricked up shutter openings. After pulling a few old posters out the void we carried on up the plenum room and the remains of two 60s managers flats before deciding to try our luck at the projection rooms.

The projection rooms gave us some trouble at first but we did stumble on one of the highlights of the explore. A small section of the rear of the auditorium was hidden behind a false wall and contained a number of hidden gems like GBT branded carpets and a Frank Burkitt shutter pull. Finding our way through to the roof and projection rooms was looking unlikely at this point due to multiple locked doors. We opted to give up and headed down to the foyer to have a quick look if we could get anymore lights on for improved photos. This caused us to stumble on the security office and to our pleasure what looked like every key to the whole place neatly laid out on the table with hand written notes showing roughly what they were for.. I guess we wont be going home quite yet then!

We had a quick poke around the foyer discovering a strange 'bank' area which i cant see ive ever seen in a bingo hall before! Then of course heading back to the roof and fumbling through handfuls of keys to see what we could find. The projection room was fairly stripped but still contained the remains of the two follow spot lamps, a few lighting controls and what not. There was a small rectifier room which had sadly been relived of its glass rectifier bulbs and also a large workshop which contained a nice fuse board with diagram of the old neon sign arrangement. Failing to get into the main roof space despite having the code to the door we finally decided to call it a night and left back the way we came locking up and returning the keys were we found them..

cinematreasures said:
The Gaumont Theatre opened on 28th October 1935. It was built by Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT) who were a subsidiary of the Gaumont British Theatres chain.

The exterior was designed in a modern Georgian style carried out in brick and had a set of five large windows in the centre that admitted light into the 100-seat restaurant, located over the wide entrance foyer. The auditorium had an Art Deco style with seating arranged in a semi-stadium style, with a raised section at the rear. The proscenium was 50feet wide and 28feet high and the cinema was equipped with a fully equipped stage that was 70feet wide and 40feet deep. There was a Compton 3Manual/10Ranks theatre organ which had an illuminated console.

In the late-1950ā€™s & into the 1960ā€™s it hosted many concerts on its stage, including: March 11, 1958 Buddy Holly & The Crickets. Other pop star followed, such as Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Bo Diddley, Brenda Lee and Bobby Vee. In 1963 The Beatles appeared on two occasions, one of them supported by Roy Orbison. In October and December 1963 The Rolling Stones. On 2nd April 1967 The Walker Brothers topped the bill in a concert that had supporting acts Jimi Hendrix, Cat Stevens & Englebert Humperdinck. In 1973 David Bowie did a concert as Ziggy Stardust. Rod Stewart appeared solo as well as fronting The Faces. The Seekers and Gary Glitter also performed and Cliff Richard took to the stage at the Gaumont on three separate occasions. In November 1973 Moot The Hoople (from Hereford) topped the bill, with Queen as supporting group.

The Rank Organisation closed the Gaumont on 4th May 1974 and it was converted into a Top Rank Bingo Club. By 1990 it was operated by Zetters then Corals. Later operating as a Gala Bingo Club and from June 2018 it was renamed Buzz Bingo Club. It was closed on 21st March 2020 due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. It was announced on 15th July 2020 that the closure would be permanent.

Probably going to be 7/10 for this one. Let down by a lack of decent auditorium or epic projection suite but still a cracking exploring experience with more minor gems to find than most.

Salisbury next then!

Last edited:

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
That's actually really nice, bonus finding the keys to the place ! love it when shit like that happens, we once found keys to a small powerplant in Belgium hidden behind a brick after trying for ages to get in.

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Iā€™m really liking that. A shame about it being converted to a bingo hall but some great features remaining. But then most of them have been converted at some point it seems.

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Here's a couple of photos of what lies above the false ceiling: Although it's instillation has spoilt the auditorium, it is at least nice to get an idea what the cinema would have been like before the ghastly paint job and modernization.

_DSC0412-2.jpg

_DSC0407-2.jpg

_DSC0446-2.jpg

After a lot of looking @slayaaaa eventually managed to find the switches for some more of the lights, located behind the stage.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Looks nicely intact compared to most actully! Hopefully they find a different use for the place and uncover it all.