real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - The Granville Bars Ramsgate March 2019 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) The Granville Bars Ramsgate March 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Wasn't going to bother with a report with this to be honest due to being permission and not overly happy with most the pics, i blame this on the camera literally gathering dust for a few years, but it's lockdown and im bored fucking rigid ,so here's a half arsed attempt at a report.
Visited on the windiest day of the year ever , a day so windy it removed my whole garden fence when i returned home,anyways ..!
Visited with that man @obscurity .
This is something a lot of us locals had wanted to see inside for many years but the site was secure and not located anywhere we could really faff about trying to get in, so when the now owner posted a few mentions about tunnels on a local fb group i got chatting and after a few messages a date was set and off we went!

There was rumour of a tunnel whcih may have linked to the nearby Ramsgate tunnels or possibly into the Theatre across the road and something on old plans showing promise ,so our first port of call was the basement.
Quick add, the basement had many uses over the years ranging from jazz clubs to meeting places for other groups etc,and theres alot of service tunnels winding round the whole site

Quick quote from wicki and a link for further viewing

"
Public House & Banqueting Hall

The building includes a former public house named the Granville Bars, that are located on the seafront corner. The bar closed around 1991 and is currently leased by Punch Taverns.
Adjoining the bar area is the banqueting hall - completed in October 1869 by Edward Pugin. The centre-piece of the hall is a massive fireplace inscribed with the motto Pile on the logs to make the fire great. The fireplace is still in situ and cost over £250 in 1869.[17] The hall has a segmented ceiling, and the floorboards are laid with New Zealand pine. The banquet hall is listed on The Ramsgate Society's Buildings at Risk Register."

Granville Hotel

Using the sites upload capabilities so i have no idea if ill manage to get the pics in the order i want..

Behind the boarding in the below picture was a rather splendid fireplace, there is a replica of this i believe in the houses of parliament.

Pic below is what hides behind the boxed off area.. sadly not my picture

Attachments

• DSC_0044.JPG
    DSC_0044.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 0 bytes · Views: 0
  • DSC_0052.JPG
    DSC_0052.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Blimey, a rare report from @Wevsky! Must be bored at home!
Nice one, the ballroomy room is pretty impressive
I was never that happy with the pictures mate, the main room which was the bar area was flooded with bright light from the window boards and they just didnt look right, and yes very bored mate

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Glad you posted this. Permission or not, its rarely seen. I know I got a glimpse via pm, so we finally see behind the box, wow, thats is nice. Stop your whining re your photos they are good :p ;) yep impressive ball room.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Glad you posted this. Permission or not, its rarely seen. I know I got a glimpse via pm, so we finally see behind the box, wow, thats is nice. Stop your whining re your photos they are good :p ;) yep impressive ball room.
The box is in place due to the ceiling being very unstable and its a rather splendid rare fireplace, just a shame that picture is ot one i have taken, pics are pretty gash but its nto all my fault,the light in that main bar was a mixture of workmens lights and daylight coming through the cracks, btu thank you