real time web analytics
Report - - The Kingsway Cinema - Birmingham - July 2010 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Kingsway Cinema - Birmingham - July 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Well well, dispite Rooks trying to muscle in and fool you that shes not a total tour whore nowerdays i think i still need to put a few photos up and explain what the deal is with this place.

This is the first Birmingham cinema ive had much luck with. A few do exist, athough nothing perticualy stands out as having awsome potential or being worth serious effot. There seems to be two distinct types in the city, you have a few smaller derelict affairs, the kind of joints that are pretty much breeze blocked up to roof level and as far as anyone knows annoying sparse inside. Then you have the other type, the Gala's! These are modern bingo conversions that might as well have closed last week. Usualy covered in CCTV and alarm boxes yet stupidly unsecure. Guess which type keep popping up on the urbex radar!

The Kingsway was pretty much what i was expecting, a proper nice building, well preserved too, probably as it was converted after bingo people realised that cinemas were attulay quite nice inside to start with and false ceilings dont really add much to their atmosphere! I was hoping for some hidden epic but after checking everywhere, roof space to basement, all i could find was a few old seats. The projection room being located, slightly unusualy, under the circle had been reused as a store room. Never mind tho, the dome is nice!

The Kingsway Cinema opened on 2nd March 1925 with Clara Bow in "Down to the Sea in Ships". Seating was provided in stalls and circle.

Towards the end of its cinematic life it was taken over by the Essoldo circuit. It closed on 3rd May 1980 with John Huston in "The Bermuda Triangle" and the documentary feature "Encounter with Disaster".

It was converted into a bingo club

4818925395_acc3a1c73d_z.jpg

4818924459_62af8c5879_z.jpg

4819545308_2c374d83c0_z.jpg

4818921889_565d1b721d_z.jpg

4819543226_41e5ba4508_z.jpg

4819542048_631d8883d0_z.jpg

much love​