real time web analytics
Report - - The North Wales Hospital, Debigh , January 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The North Wales Hospital, Debigh , January 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

claire_e_dodd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So it's officially been 18 months since my very first Urban Exploration trip to Camelot, and I've done absolutely nothing since! I've always wanted to go again, but finding someone willing to come with me on my weird adventures proved to be difficult. Well I've finally found someone as weird as me, and I'm hoping that I'll be popping more regular reports out throughout the year.

We initially headed to Barnes Hospital in Cheadle, but we hadn't realised that work was currently underway, so being midweek and midday the place was full of workmen. Instead, we decided to head to North Wales to check out Denbigh Asylum. I liked the fact that it was a large area to explore, and the vast grounds meant that I was confident we would find relatively easy access somewhere along the line, (I'm the most clumsy, ungraceful and unflexible person ever, if I have to climb, I fall, as you will see later in the report).

The North Wales Hospital (locally known as Denbigh Mental or Denbigh Asylum)[1] is a Grade II listed building. Designed by architect Thomas Fulljames, building started in 1844 and completed in 1848. Once a hospital for people with psychiatric illnesses, at its maximum capacity it could house 200 patients. It is located in Denbigh, Denbighshire, Wales.

In 2008, the site was featured on Most Haunted.

More recently, work was being done to renovate the site, but the building caught fire, destroying the main hall of the hospital. Arson was suspected, and in the aftermath, the planning permission lapsed, and the site is once again abandoned. Now, a new application for planning permission has been submitted, but there is currently no work being undertaken.

Thankfully we had no problems with access, and spent a good 2/3 hours wandering around, almost getting lost, and falling through holes. No sign of any security, but we did bump into two other groups of explorers, apologies to the girl I scared if you're on the forum!

Most of the buildings were pretty trashed, and even in the bigger buildings exploration was limited to the ground floor as the higher floors had completely gone. At one point we crossed a small hole in the floor by walking across a wooden beam, but of course, me being clumsy, had the beam snap just before I reached the other side and I fell. Everything was fine, I of course made it sound way more dramatic than it was when I told my friends, and it was unlikely that even if I had not caught the other side and fallen through that I would still only have a few scrapes (it wasn't very deep) but I still learnt my lesson, and will go back to being my overly cautious self in future.

I've attached a few choice pictures below, but I also wrote up the adventure for my blog, so if you'd like the long version, feel free to read it here.

307-510x383.jpg
321-510x383.jpg
324-510x383.jpg
373.jpg
398.jpg
331.jpg
345.jpg
359.jpg

We're hoping to head out again sometime at the end of the month or beginning of Feb, and at the moment it looks like we'll be heading to Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham :)

Bolts

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The least you could do was spell the name right :D
In all seriousness though, good report & especially liking the pics - the other ones on your blog are good too, glad I clicked it

claire_e_dodd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The least you could do was spell the name right :D
In all seriousness though, good report & especially liking the pics - the other ones on your blog are good too, glad I clicked it
Oh crap, fat fingers, don't think I can edit it now.... :(

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details