real time web analytics
Report - - The North Wales Hospital, Denbigh, January 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The North Wales Hospital, Denbigh, January 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GirlGeekUpNorth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So I'm playing catch up and posting my outstanding adventures from last year. Although, this one is definitely one of my favourites!

History of Denbigh Asylum

The North Wales Hospital (locally known as Denbigh Mental or Denbigh Asylum) is a Grade II listed building. Designed by architect Thomas Fulljames, building started in 1844 and completed in 1848. Once a hospital for people with psychiatric illnesses, at its maximum capacity it could house 200 patients. It is located in Denbigh, Denbighshire, Wales.

Once we arrived, access to the site itself was pretty straight forward, and we headed straight towards what we thought was the Nurses Home. Our first location, along with the rest of the site was already pretty trashed, but on the whole, this building was in reasonable condition, and we were able to explore all three floors.

We spent time working our way through the Nurses home, the Chapel, the Mortuary and the main complex. Although we eventually managed to visit all of the buildings (we think) as we made our way through, we did come across numerous access issues.

The buildings were obviously badly affected by the recent heavy rain, with many lower rooms being flooded or waterlogged. We also found that the further towards the main entrance we got, the more building damage we found. The upper floors were often completely missing, ground floors were riddled with holes, and we even found ourselves navigating collapsed ceilings.

The highlight of our trip had to be coming upon a corridor with part of the floor missing, and only the wooden beams remaining across the gap. Of course, just as I was about to get all the way across, the beam I was balancing on broke, and I started to fall to my doom! In reality, of course, the hole beneath me was not that deep, and in any case, I managed to reach and grab the other side, pulling myself to safety with a few minor scrapes and bruises. I do have to say though that it was lesson learned for me, and I shall no longer be walking across wet wooden beams in abandoned places…..

You can see more pictures and read the full report on my website.

I like this site, it's big enough to make me want to go back, as I'm sure we missed stuff!

399.jpg

314.jpg

370.jpg
374.jpg

386.jpg

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
How come you have only posted 5 photos on here and linked to the rest on your site?

Looking at some of the images that you have on your site, there are some really nice shots there and the ones posted here are not quite as good. A lot of people on here won't go and look at a 3rd party site and will only look at what is on here, so it may be worth adding a few more photos on your next report.

GirlGeekUpNorth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
How come you have only posted 5 photos on here and linked to the rest on your site?

Looking at some of the images that you have on your site, there are some really nice shots there and the ones posted here are not quite as good. A lot of people on here won't go and look at a 3rd party site and will only look at what is on here, so it may be worth adding a few more photos on your next report.

Really? I thought I'd pulled the best ones out, but trust me I'm far from a half decent photographer, so I probably don't have the best eye. I thought people would prefer to be shown the cream of the crop and then given the option to view all elsewhere if interested (as I really don't rate my photography, I didn't want to bore people with the rubbish). I also don't like how sometimes the images on here end up all mis-sized and it doesn't look nice, at least in WordPress I can make pretty galleries :)

Fingers crossed next time I have better judgement!