real time web analytics
Report - - The Ougree Coke Works (Liege, Belgium) - Dec 2021 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Ougree Coke Works (Liege, Belgium) - Dec 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ikkdjct

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History

The area where today’s coke works are located was purchased by the “Societe Anonyme John Cockerill” in 1882 and there have been several coke work incarnations since then. The current coke works were build in 1957, shortly after the “Societe Anonyme John Cockerill” merged with “Societe Anonyme Ougree-Marihaye” to form the “Societe Anonyme Cockerill-Ougree”. For a history of the “SA Cockerill” see Cockerill-Sambre, Ougree. The Ougree Coke Works were equipped with 4 Krupp-Koppers oven batteries, which were installed in 1967 and 1983 and totalled 139 ovens. In 2010 the number of ovens was increased to 185 due to the restart of the “Haut Fourneau B (HFB)” . At the height of its production the coke works produced 800000 tonnes of metallurgical coke per year. However, the HFB closed down for good in 2011, sealing the fate of the Ougree Coke Works, which closed their doors in 2014. Like most steelworks and factories in Liege this one is on its way out, although I think it will be the last to be demolished becuase of the high levels of pollution.

The explore

Like its more famous cousin the HBF in Liege this site is pretty huge and I spend about two days in there trying to cover most of it and I still did not see everything. Unlike the HBF, however, getting in was pretty straightforward and I did not see any security whatsoever. Visited with friends (non-members) and I have to say this was a very enjoyable explore and if I lived a bit closer I would not mind going back.

Some Outside Views

IMG_2779.jpg

1) The Ougree Coke Works

IMG_3199.jpg

2)Coke ovens and charging tower to the left with the cole silos to the right.

IMG_2866.jpg

3)View of the two coke silos.

IMG_2875.jpg

4) Roof of one of the coke oven batteries

IMG_3034.jpg

5) The silos and coke ovens.

The Coal Silos

IMG_3078.jpg

6) View of the coal mill in the foreground and the water tower and the coal silos in the background. The water tower has two bassins one with a volume of 168 cubic meters and one
with a volume of 332 cubic meters. The coal silos had a capacity of about 11000 tonnes. While some coal was delivered to the Ougree Coke Works by train, most of the it arrived by
ship via the River Meuse, the port being located just outside the coke works.

IMG_2996.jpg

7) Area between the two coke silos.

IMG_3001.jpg

8) Conveyor inside the oldest of the two coke silos.

IMG_3006.jpg

9) Inside the oldest of the two silos...

IMG_3010.jpg

10) Inside the oldest of the two silos.

The coal mill

After its arrival, the coal got pulverised to a size of about 2mm before being deposited in the cola silos.

IMG_3019.jpg

11) Coal Mill No 1.

IMG_3024.jpg

12) Coal Mill No 2

IMG_3030.jpg

13) Old and dusty control panel

The coke ovens and charging tower

IMG_2808.jpg

14) Conveyor inside the charging tower

IMG_2793.jpg

15) View of the charging car.

IMG_2861.jpg

16) View of the charging car.

IMG_2789.jpg

17) Gallery of fuel injectors. These injected gas into the flues that heat the coke ovens. They are located on both sides of the coke oven batteries just below the ovens.

IMG_3068.jpg

18) Another gallery of gas injectors

IMG_2885.jpg

19) These are the extractors that extract the coke gas gas from the coke ovens.

IMG_3057.jpg

20) This basement is located immediately below the coke ovens and was used for mainetance purposes.

IMG_2892.jpg

21) Close up of the coke ovens.

IMG_2929.jpg

22) Coke side view of the coke works. The coke transfer car and the quencher car (i.e. the machines that was used to empty the coke ovens) ran on these rails.

IMG_2902.jpg

23) The pusher car. This is a rarity as not many of these are still in existance...

Thanks for looking...

ikkdjct

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The Power Plant

This derelict power station was abandoned long before the Ougree Coke Works closed their doors, according to some sources sometime before 2000. This power plant probably provided electricity to the Ougree Coke works before the expansion of the power plants at the HF6 Serraing and HBF Ougree.

IMG_2979.jpg

24) Not sure what this was...

IMG_2972.jpg

25) The boiler house

IMG_3126.jpg

26) Boiler house

IMG_3131.jpg

27) Boiler house

IMG_3148.jpg

28) Part of the pressure regulator.

The by-product plant

IMG_2987.jpg

29)The two columns in the background are part of the naphtalene removal plant.

IMG_3110.jpg

30)Benzene recovery hall. The large vertical column is a scrubber which removed benzene (and other hydrocarbons such as toluene) from the coke gas.

IMG_2951.jpg

31) The back of the compressor hall.

IMG_2959.jpg

32) A Koppers Turbo compressor. Its aim is to keep the coke gas under enough pressure for it to travel around the by-products plan and back to the coke ovens.

IMG_3182.jpg

33) A tar extractor.

That is all for now. Hope you enjoyed the pics.

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Wow
That is amazing. That neck of the woods is simply too overwhelming for a visitor. You'd have to be a local to do it justice and see every corner. I ended up timetabling 2 hours for places like this beacuse there was so much around. I didnt even know of this one!

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's superb. Love the power plant section. I really want to go to Europe again. It's been far too long :confused:

ikkdjct

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Wow
That is amazing. That neck of the woods is simply too overwhelming for a visitor. You'd have to be a local to do it justice and see every corner. I ended up timetabling 2 hours for places like this beacuse there was so much around. I didnt even know of this one!

Unfortunately a lot is now disappearing, albeit slowly. Need to return soon lol