real time web analytics
Report - - The Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford 12/10/08 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford 12/10/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Visited with Speeeeed.

Well, I've known about this for a while from a generous tip off (thanks;)) and it was about time I did something about it. This wasn't the original plans for this weekend but like many things in life, it never runs smoothly and rarely goes to plan. After a brief recce with Ukmayhem, me and Speed found ourselves bleary-eyed in a Tesco car park buying supplies for the day ahead.

I'll be honest here. I didn't believe we were going to get in this one because of its central location and state of demolition but lady luck must have been shining on us that day. We wandered round the first bit and found some very recent paperwork, a map (ta very much) and a lecture room.

The sound of diggers was fast approaching and getting louder but we weren't satisfied with only seeing such a small part of this huge complex so we bit the bullet and went for it. Half way through exploring one of the main buildings, we felt the floor shaking as the cherry picker viciously gnawed away at the building we were standing in.

"Hmm now would probably be a good time to leave"

We finished off a few odd buildings here and there and found some operating theatres (the bastards had stolen the lights) and then made our way out, mindful that we had probably pushed our luck as far as it would go that day.

So here is the Radclliffe Infirmary. From leads/rumours to several recces to full infiltration. I love it when a plan comes together:thumb

A bit of extra information:
The Radcliffe Infirmary was a hospital in central Oxford, England, located at the southern end of Woodstock Road on the western side, backing onto Walton Street. The Radcliffe Infirmary, named after physician John Radcliffe, opened in 1770 and was Oxford's first hospital, and closed on 27 January 2007.
In 1758, the initial proposals to build a hospital in Oxford were put forward at a meeting of the Radcliffe Trustees, who were administering John Radcliffe's estate. £4000 was made available for the new hospital, which was constructed on land given by Thomas Rowney, the Member of Parliament for Oxford.
A number of pioneering moments in medical history occurred at the hospital. Penicillin was first tested on patients on 27 January 1941. The first Utah Array (later known as the BrainGate) implantation in a human (Kevin Warwick) took place on 14 March 2002[1].
The site was the location of the Oxford Eye Hospital.
The Infirmary was acquired by the University of Oxford in 2003 and closed for medical use in 2007 with services being transferred to purpose built buildings at the John Radcliffe and Churchill Hospitals in nearby Headington. The site has been earmarked for expansion of the humanities and mathematics departments in the University of Oxford.
The Woodstock Road entrance of the hospital was frequently seen in the ITV television series Inspector Morse.

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0109-1.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0120-1.jpg

DSC_0125-1.jpg

DSC_0131-1.jpg

DSC_0136-1.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0144-1.jpg