real time web analytics
Report - - The Ritz, Nuneaton - March 2019 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Ritz, Nuneaton - March 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with prettyvacant71, @jsp77 and @Terminal Decline after the Birmingham meet up. This was our chosen accommodation for the night. After having had less than 10hrs sleep in nearly 3 days and covered just over 1000 miles by that point, laying on the disgusting ground in here after getting a few shots was quite a blissful feeling!

I don't usually bother posting places if they have been covered a few times recently, but I figured I'd fire mine up because I loved the challenge of light painting it. Plus I haven't posted in this section of the forum before!

History:

The Ritz Cinema opened on 23rd July 1937 with James Melton in "Melody for Two" and James Dunn in "Mysterious Crossing", plus a live show on-stage. Located on the corner of Abbey Street and Newtown Road, it was built for, and was initially operated by the Union Cinemas circuit, but they were taken over in October 1937 by Associated British Cinemas(ABC).

The Ritz Cinema is an imposing building on an island site, with a brick exterior. Seating in the auditorium was provided in stalls and balcony levels and there is some excellent detailed fibrous plasterwork. It was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/6Rank organ (with Melotone attachment) that had an illuminated console and was opened by Alex Taylor. The organ chambers were locacated above the proscenium, which had a decorative grille across the top. The cinema was re-furbished in the 1950’s and was re-named ABC from 13th November 1961.

Closed as the ABC on 29th October 1977 with "Exorist II", it was taken over by an independent operator the following day and re-named Ritz Cinema. The Ritz was twinned from 27th December 1979, with screen 1 using the balcony and front stalls area, and the 200 seat, screen 2 located in the former rear stalls under the balcony. In 1982, a small fire did damage to screen 2, but it was quickly repaired and re-opened.

The Ritz Cinema closed on 18th June 1984 and the building was sold to new owners. It was completely redecorated and refurbished and re-opened as the Ritz Bingo Club. Last operated as a Gala Bingo Club, it was closed in 2007, and remains empty and unused.

The building was designated a Grade II Listed building by English Heritage in October 2008.

9k97YGNh.jpg

7L9YOpEh.jpg

OeCAFwJh.jpg

NEln3Fph.jpg

jEz9ZzGh.jpg

4ebTWCOh.jpg

qY3vg9Ph.jpg

qajTDn8h.jpg

eil8I37h.jpg

BYyLSzPh.jpg

I preferred the look of the foyer with the lights on!

XDp9yv7h.jpg

O4qCAcCh.jpg

visVuJ4h.jpg

EwPEniDh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Nice man. Really wish we’d put the foyer lights on now. Don’t know why we didn’t. Looks miles better! Not a bad place to kip either

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah I'm gutted I didn't try the lights... it was a fucker to light paint. never known a cinema just suck so much light up!

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah I'm gutted I didn't try the lights... it was a fucker to light paint. never known a cinema just suck so much light up!
It was your pics beind the inspiration, I know @AndyK and @SpiderMonkey lit theirs up amazingly in a different way and eneyone else flicked the switch... for me it had to the same but different. All the pics from here are amazing, just wanted to add to the corner of the forum that I’ve never posted in before. All hail the power of the fd41!!! :D

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great pics in complete darkness. Serious lumen required. Mentioned earlier but bizarre the electricity hasn't been cut off.

UrbandonedTeam

the north
Regular User
Don't know you managed to get the lights on in the foyer, we tried for ages couldn't find the right switch! Great pictures as always