real time web analytics
Report - - Ritz - Nuneaton, Mar19 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ritz - Nuneaton, Mar19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
History

The Art Deco cinema was designed for the Union Cinema Circuit by renowned architects Verity and Beverley. It opened on 23rd July 1937 but was shortly taken over by ABC (Associated British Cinemas) in October that year. It became a Ritz in the 60’s and was used as a cinema up until it’s closure on 18th June 1984 when it was taken over as a bingo hall until that then closed in 2008. Grade II listed due to it’s highly decorative interior of an Art Deco, Neo-Egyptian and Chinoiserie inspired decoration. Which of very few survive now.

Here’s a pretty cool video I’ve linked from Youtube with some cracking old images of the place along with a recording of the Compton Organ being played there.

Our Visit

I’d seen @AndyK and @SpiderMonkey had been here a few weeks back, followed by @dweebs report also, so with the 28 meet being in Brum it was the perfect opportunity to get over and have a look.

Pretty straight forward as it seems it had quite a bit of traffic earlier in the week to which I noticed the lights were on. Which is ideal as it’s a pain in the arse light painting these massive auditoriums.

Visited with @Ferret, @Drew howe and @slayaaa.

Not too much left from it’s cinema days but still a good un non the less.

Pics

I’ve included a couple of old photos dragged up from Google and a couple of screengrabs of the above mentioned video for comparison.

Starting with some externals

55847_html_34cd0af3.md.jpg

3459-0-885x524.md.jpg

Mar-19-1-4.md.jpg

Ritz-Mar-19-23.md.jpg

Ritz-Mar-19-21.md.jpg

Foyer

Mar-19-1.md.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-03-13-at-00.56.10.md.png

Ritz-Mar-19-16.md.jpg

Ritz-Mar-19-15.md.jpg

Ritz-Mar-19-14.md.jpg

Moving onto the auditorium

Screen-Shot-2019-03-13-at-00.56.20.md.png

Screen-Shot-2019-03-13-at-00.56.31.md.png

Screen-Shot-2019-03-13-at-00.57.07.md.png

Mar-19-1-5.md.jpg

Mar-19-1-2.md.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-03-13-at-00.56.42.md.png

Screen-Shot-2019-03-13-at-00.56.58.md.png

Mar-19-1-3.md.jpg

Some old graffiti behind the stage/screen area

Ritz-Mar-19-19.md.jpg

A lot of money for it’s day this, and still now to be fair. I certainly wouldn’t mind winning that.

Ritz-Mar-19-20.md.jpg

Ritz-Mar-19-11.md.jpg

Original seating, covered in cobwebs.

Ritz-Mar-19-9.md.jpg

Ritz-Mar-19-7.md.jpg

Ritz-Mar-19-8.md.jpg

Ritz-Mar-19-6.md.jpg

Ritz-Mar-19-5.md.jpg

Ritz-Mar-19-4.md.jpg

Ritz-Mar-19-3.md.jpg

Ritz-Mar-19-2.md.jpg

and to finish on “The shot”

Ritz-Mar-19-1.md.jpg

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Ha! We must’ve just missed you guys! We left the meet and went there, needed a place to crash. Nice to see you got all the lights working, we fucked around for ages and only got some of them on. Got some great pics there mate, nice one!

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Ha! We must’ve just missed you guys! We left the meet and went there, needed a place to crash. Nice to see you got all the lights working, we fucked around for ages and only got some of them on. Got some great pics there mate, nice one!

Cheers mate, we did it before the drain meet in the morning and crashed in five ways tower.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Great set, love the lights working, I can't light paint lol, always muck it up. Great report :thumb
I would love to do one of these, but sadly with MS climbing etc is something I just can't do anymore. :confused: It really upsets me that I can't do these fancy, well sealed ones. As they look and report so nicely.

But love reading and looking at others. Guess I will have to stick to my non impressive derps lol, but at least I try lol. But great report :cool:

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Iv heard its sealed now ;-( I was gonna have a look this week but not sure its worth the trip now!

Who has read this thread (Total: 288) View details