real time web analytics
Report - - The River Frome, Bristol Feb 2018 | UK Draining Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The River Frome, Bristol Feb 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Fair fucks for doing some of that this time of year! I've done bits walking through and bits on a kayak but nothing as comprehensive as this - proper good write up!

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Fantasic report and photos!
I didn't realise there was quite so much to this system until I saw this.
Can never have too many pics and words to read - Great work :thumb

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Thanks guys, yeah it is a very big system but there's gotta be more to see behind that concrete block wall. Worth the effort though, especially as there's a lot of history to it

Seffy

Staff member
A sterling write up dude, would have expected nothing less from yourself!

Enjoyed what I've seen of this with you, here's to summer adventures and hopefully no more man overboard situations for me :D

Killa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Awesome report and pics, very well documented.
Many years ago did some work in one of the dry disused sections, but sadly cannot remember where it was! It was bone dry and in perfect condition!
I may have pics but will have to dig them out....

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very interesting read, and a very detailed report. I like how there is a mix of old and new in this system. It would seem the drains in bristol are particularly prone to flooding, and add in the tides, never seen infrastructure of this scale reported on elsewhere in the UK. Would you say bristol has unique conditions that warrant these type of systems?

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Thanks all for nice comments! @Killa Any more info/ pics, mate. Sounds very interesting! @pastybarm Yeah bristols pretty unique in that it has two huge storms drains that run for miles to the very tidal avon - Motherload and Dreadnaught. These were built in the early 60's because the tidal range is so big and if the tide's high and the frome or malago was in spate the water had nowhere to go. This used to happen often and now doesn't. All of the frome could be diverted down motherload permanently if they wanted to. I'm not sure why it hasn't been - though i'm glad it hasn't!

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers for the reply TG. I did read the tidal bore in bristol is the 2nd biggest/fastest in the world or something like that, add in all the surface runoff, and I can understand why the need for such big systems.

Killa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks all for nice comments! @Killa Any more info/ pics, mate. Sounds very interesting!@pastybarm Yeah bristols pretty unique in that it has two huge storms drains that run for miles to the very tidal avon - Motherload and Dreadnaught. These were built in the early 60's because the tidal range is so big and if the tide's high and the frome or malago was in spate the water had nowhere to go. This used to happen often and now doesn't. All of the frome could be diverted down motherload permanently if they wanted to. I'm not sure why it hasn't been - though i'm glad it hasn't!

Hi there,
The disused section l was in was in a road that was bulldozed to make way for Cabot Circus.
I have a couple of pics but new to the forum and do not understand the process of uploading photos, not that computer literate! These are scans of 35mm prints, sorry if this does not comply with the rules for posting!

ACB64355-46FE-43CF-8CD2-2BFD534770A3.jpeg

2FD07529-05B7-4B2D-9BE3-4233A7F0C53F.jpeg

Cheers

Seffy

Staff member
Hi there,
The disused section l was in was in a road that was bulldozed to make way for Cabot Circus.
I have a couple of pics but new to the forum and do not understand the process of uploading photos, not that computer literate! These are scans of 35mm prints, sorry if this does not comply with the rules for posting!

Cheers

Yeah thanks for posting those. Always good to see photos that don’t come up in searches online etc. Always makes you wonder who else out there has some decent stuff to share!

Who has read this thread (Total: 324) View details