real time web analytics
Report - - The River Frome, Bristol Feb 2018 | UK Draining Forum | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The River Frome, Bristol Feb 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Killa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah thanks for posting those. Always good to see photos that don’t come up in searches online etc. Always makes you wonder who else out there has some decent stuff to share!
Cheers Seffy, glad to help out. Lots of interesting stuff under Bristol!

Regcar

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report and photos, thank you very much. I used to cycle round here a few years ago, but never realised what all the outflows were. The tide on the Avon is very impressive, and I was lucky to see Netham Weir breached once, bit like the weir in Chester which was just a lucky fluke. Arrived at exactly the right time to see a boat pass over.

Got a trip on the PS Waverley once from the Floating Harbour. Makes you realise how tight the bends are on the Avon down to the sea.

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it. I wonder how often netham weir breaches then - every year or just when there's a storm surge with heavy rain and spring tides? I did the through trip with @END-PROC last weekend, the levels were much lower now its summer. Wellies will get you to three of the four weirs, thigh wadors are enough to get to stone bridge. We took a canoe but hardly used it. I can confirm it fits thru the manhole, though, which saved a long walk back upstream

received_1680651492042114.jpeg

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That pic is great, did the canoe/kayak fit down the manhole? And look how clean those streets are, puts other cities/towns to shame!

cjdonnelly

Tunnelmaster
28DL Full Member
no way thaat tiny tunnel is the outflow the main tunnel there is a brick arch at the end i watched a video on it

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great report an all but I chuckled a bit at .."Bristol Docks started to lose international trade to Liverpool and later Avonmouth and Portishead, none of which are affected by the tide". Liverpool is second only to Bristol as a daft place to build docks, which is why trade shifted south to Southampton, Harwich etc. with much smaller tidal ranges.

FroomMaster

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hey guys,

I've spent 10 years studying the (pre culverted) Froom of the 18th and 19th century and would like to help you learn more and for you to help me fill in some gaps. Are there any more planned trips under Bristol? clearly the moat from Queen St is out of bounds due to the work on the new skyscraper on the ambulance station but i'm guessing wade st is still open.

symbiont

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is totally fascinating - amazing report - thankyou! i've been recording the waterways of Bristol using hydrophones - finding some v. interesting sounds

Who has read this thread (Total: 324) View details