real time web analytics
Report - - The Royal Hotel, Ashby de la Zouch - July 2018 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Royal Hotel, Ashby de la Zouch - July 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
History of the Royal Hotel

Built in 1826, the historic Royal Hotel in Ashby-de-la-Zouch is an important part of the town's heritage. The hotel was built next door to Ivanhoe Baths, a popular spa that had opened four years earlier, in order to accommodate it's visitors. By 1884 the baths had closed and stood derelict for many years, and were finally demolished in 1962. The Royal Hotel reinvented itself and became a popular venue for weddings and functions.

By 2015 the hotel was operating at a loss, and was sustained by the owners until its closure in March 2018.

royal-hotel-ashby-historic.jpg

Our Visit

Well, this was a lot of fun! The hotel itself wasn't all that exciting, it's been modernised and other than the staircase was a bit boring. But the best bit.... The bar was still stocked! We had a mini party, everyone else drank beer and I (as I was driving) discovered j20 makes me unbelievably hypo! Don't do drugs, kids, just drink j20 :D

Our plan was to return that weekend, drink more beer and stay overnight in the hotel. With that in mind, we were very careful to leave absolutely no sign we had been there, but despite our best effort we returned to find the place sealed up good and proper. With metal sheets over every possible access and external cameras on every corner I'd be surprised if anyone gets in here anytime soon. However, there are beers in the fridge for anyone willing to give it a go ;)

Visited with @SpiderMonkey, JLP Photos and JP

royal-hotel-ashby-8.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-4.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-30.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-3.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-29.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-17.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-10.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-9.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-7.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-12.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-13.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-14.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-31.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-1.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-2.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-6.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-15.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-16.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-21.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-26.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-22.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-19.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-24.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-25.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-27.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-28.jpg

royal-hotel-ashby-32.jpg

Cheers!

drummergirl_90

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Amazing. Might go see how sealed it is tomorrow as it's about 6 miles from me. Photos are great. Bet you guys had a whale of a time with the bar.

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Superb! I can actually hear ensuing the stampede in the distance...! :D Lovely report mate, cheers for sharing that absolute beaut!

drummergirl_90

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well I'll be buggered if I found a way in. Tried on Sunday and pretty sealed. Even got on the roof was told by someone that got in there last week though that the owner is doing viewings? So maybe they sealed it back up.

UrbandonedTeam

the north
Regular User
Well I'll be buggered if I found a way in. Tried on Sunday and pretty sealed. Even got on the roof was told by someone that got in there last week though that the owner is doing viewings? So maybe they sealed it back up.
someone got in the other day and had to hide in the shower while the owner was giving a viewing.