real time web analytics
Report - - The Wine Castle, Normandie, France - January 2019 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Wine Castle, Normandie, France - January 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Nathan.R

Beneath Explorers
28DL Full Member
================================================== A little bit of History ===============================================

In the heart of a picturesque village hidden in the vegetation, this magnificent residence dates back to the early 20th century. The richly decorated facade is imposing and the exterior still seems in very good condition despite the bushes and brambles that have invaded the park.​

IMG_6621-1024x683.jpg

The front of the castle

Very little documented, this castle is full of mysteries, but the many documents and photos inside allow us to know a little more. The castle belonged to a wine merchant who had a relationship with a woman in East Germany in the 1970s and 1980s, the correspondence provided between the two protagonists traces the history of this distant relationship and takes us back to that time.

archive_2-2-1024x663.jpg

archive_3.jpg

Archive images

As this exploration progresses, we discover more and more about the last occupant of this residence, divorce, debts, failure of a business. It is almost disturbing to enter into the intimacy of a person, a family. Everything still seems to be there, personal files, letters, but also toys and children's items corresponding to different ages and times. It becomes possible to follow the life and evolution of these people over a whole period, studies, passions everything is there.

IMG_6606-1024x683.jpg

Lots of documents and letters were found in the different rooms

But here too, many unethical visitors have degraded and turned this place upside down. A mess reigns in all the rooms, miscellaneous items and documents littered the ground as a result of a robbery and some walls have been graffitied.

============================================= The Exploration ===============================================

Our exploration went very well. No security seems to be present. This time we had the right lenses to take the pictures, it was more pleasant! We especially remember the beauty of the exteriors, even if the interiors are interesting.... If you pass near this place, I recommend you make a stop there!

==================================================== The Photos ======================================================

IMG_6618-1024x683.jpg

IMG_1460-683x1024.jpg

IMG_6596-1024x683.jpg

IMG_1440-1024x683.jpg

IMG_1439-1024x683.jpg

IMG_6582-1024x683.jpg

IMG_6605-1024x768.jpg

IMG_6592-683x1024.jpg

IMG_6602-683x1024.jpg

IMG_6617-683x1024.jpg

And voilà, thank you very much for reading my report. We haven't found many historical elements unfortunately, but we can't find hundreds of documents on all the sites!

IMG_6585-1024x379.jpg

Nathan.R

Beneath Explorers
28DL Full Member
That’s a stunning building.
Yes it is!
That floats my boat. Fantastic stuff.
Thank you!

But yeah it's a shame the insides aren't this good... I am adding some pictures of the interiors, so that you can see the condition.

IMG_6598-683x1024.jpg

IMG_6601-683x1024.jpg

IMG_6614-1024x683.jpg

IMG_6607-1024x683.jpg

It is in this room that we found a kind of epistolary relationship with a person from East Germany. Many of the letters were written in German, but we were able to understand those in French at least!

lr101fc

28DL Member
28DL Member
Fantastic visit, great set of photos and a write up.
I also found it on a French site too here: http://www.tempus-fugit.fr/chateau-amor-vinum/ - I live in Normandy, however it's a huge area made up of the five departments of Manche, Calvados , Eure, Manche, Orne, and Seine-Maritime - it is an area of over 11,000 square mile so not always easy to find a particular property.