real time web analytics
Report - - The Works Drain / Inhospitable – Manchester – September 2022 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Works Drain / Inhospitable – Manchester – September 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
I’ve a real soft spot for this drain as it was the first one I did 15 years ago back in 2007.

It had been a few years since I last set foot in here so it was great to return. This time I met up with concreteJungle to retrace old footsteps but also venture into the previously overlooked downstream section of Inhospitable beyond the P37 penstock.

Entering the beautiful outfall into the River Irk we made our way up the two tone brick tunnel.

a.jpg

I’m beginning to feel my age a bit now but so is the upper red brickwork in parts. Some of the bricks at the top of the tunnel nearer the outfall are spalling which was not the case about 10 years ago.

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

After a couple of twists and turns we came to the section that contains a lot of rubble and debris. On the first and each subsequent visit here I have noticed a tiny model toy car, a Micro Machines Lamborghini Countach embedded in the calcite that binds the stones and rubble together.

f.jpg

This is the photo I took of it from my original 2007 report, it had quite likely been in the drain since the 1980s when these were very popular.

ff.JPG

Moving on from here it was a short walk through the deep water that backs up behind the debris, then past the junction with the blocked off tunnel and up the stairs which I swear have got bigger since I last climbed them.

g.jpg

h.jpg

j.jpg

k.jpg

l.jpg

m.jpg

Reaching the familiar penstock chamber is always enjoyable and the long dry summer had made the flow of the Moston Brook about as low as I had seen it which was a bonus.
Looking upstream:

n.jpg

Looking downstream:

o.jpg

Now it was time to duck under the penstock and make our way downstream. I think we had always overlooked this section as being very stoopy and ankle twistingly rocky underfoot. After a short distance, we were not wrong about our preconceptions. It was stoopy and rocky but we were here to get it done anyway.

p.jpg

There wasn’t much to see for a while other than where a couple of CSOs joined, one of which appears to discharge a continuous flow of sewage into the brook despite it being dry and sunny for several days.

After a while, the rocks lessened and the water deepened and before the tunnel opened up to a much larger diameter.

q.jpg

r.jpg

s.jpg

t.jpg

It was good to straighten our backs and take a quick break here before progressing. This bigger section of drain didn’t last long before the tunnel diameter shrank a little to a very respectable 6.5ft.

u.jpg

It was interesting that there was not a single rock or stone in this section. It soon become clear why. The tunnel was heading downhill slightly and a bit further on, the decline became much steeper as a sharp right turn came into sight. From here we had to be very careful as it would be easy to fall over on the rather slippy brickwork.

v.jpg

w.jpg

After cautiously rounding the bend, the end was immediately upon us. One wrong slip here would end quite nastily so after a quick shot of the view, we carefully made our retreat back up the tunnel.

x.jpg

y.jpg

z.jpg

These two photos show the end of tunnel from where the water drops from the outfall into the ruins of what I think used to be an old mill:

za.JPG

zb.JPG

On our way out of the drain, the little Lamborghini was finally rescued and got cleaned up a bit. It now sits on my mantelpiece as a little souvenir.

zc.JPG

Thanks to concreteJungle for a pleasant afternoon of Manchester draining. :)

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some great pics there that outfall is dodgy one slip and your washed over the edge one of my favourites as well this drain

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
nice report im hoping to do more drains next summer, did you climb down the outfall?not sure if its as wet as it looks or the long exposures doing its trick ;)

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Thanks folks!
@Mr Budge: You wouldn't want to try climbing down the outfall. It's a good 8 foot drop onto slimy rocks and the edge is so slippery you'd fall out of it as there's nothing to hold on to.

KCM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top class as per norm from yourself. Love drains and the underground world we never see. There is also something i find interesting is the pics from outside the outfall. Looks like you got your car out of a spot of bother. Great work... PS Merry Christmas and New Year to you all. Thank you for the efforts you all put in...

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Top class as per norm from yourself. Love drains and the underground world we never see. There is also something i find interesting is the pics from outside the outfall. Looks like you got your car out of a spot of bother. Great work... PS Merry Christmas and New Year to you all. Thank you for the efforts you all put in...

The two separate outfalls of this drain are both equally impressive. Cheers and Merry Christmas. :thumb

Its always good to see the Works, and also that the Drain Fairy is still there looking out for us :)

Never gets boring does The Works, the Drain Fairy still keeps an eye on the occasional visitor passing through!

FireAnt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great job. Nice pictures too. Interesting about the old mill, that may of once been there. I'm going to try and look that up.

Great effort on rescuing the Lambo also. 👍

Who has read this thread (Total: 168) View details