real time web analytics
Report - - Tilbury B Power Station, Essex - March 2015 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tilbury B Power Station, Essex - March 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Tilbury B Power Station, Essex.

Visited with Speedio. I appreciate that Tilbury's been getting a lot of love lately, but having just posted a shockingly average cottage hospital I felt the need to restore the balance and post something, you know, not shit.

IMG_5880_zpsjirkk2ls.jpg

Shortly after the opening of Tilbury 'A' power station in 1956, the Central Electricity Generating Board began construction of a new much larger station, Tilbury 'B', in 1961. The station was fully operational by 1969, following partial synchronisation to the national grid in 1967. On privatisation in 1990 it was assigned to National Power, but is now owned by RWE npower.

The B station contained four generating units, although one had been decommissioned at the time of closure and was only used spare parts. Prior to this, all 4 units had a combined capacity of 1428 MW - enough power for 1.4 million people or approximately 80% of the population of Essex. Cooling water was drawn from the Thames. Fuel was delivered by ship to a dedicated unloading jetty; the jetty was enlarged in 2004 to accommodate ships carrying up to 65,000 tons of coal. The station connected to the National Grid at the nearby 275 kV substation.

In May 2011, RWE began converting the B station to burn biomass only. They hoped for the conversion to allow 750 MW of electricity to be generated from burning wood pellets imported from a pelleting plant in Georgia, USA, and other sources from Europe by the winter of 2011. This conversion would have made the station the biggest biomass generating site in the world; however, in July 2013 RWE npower announced they were halting the conversion due to difficulty in converting and financing the plant, and it was mothballed in August of the same year.

As Speed has pointed out, after a reasonably successful day in London we came to blows over which power station we should visit next. I was keen for Grain, as I know that they've started decommissioning it and I want to see those crazy GEC turbines before they're skipped. Speed wanted to see Tilbury while there was no activity on site. In the end he was the one driving so I really didn't have a say in the matter, although as it turns out I thoroughly enjoyed Tilbury. There's a good chance Grain is totally stripped now whereas this place is mint, and the main reason I was put off is that I was expecting the station to be fairly modern and lifeless but as it happened we found plenty of oldschool machinery and 60s signage.

Not much else to report other than the fact we had a pretty relaxed visit for once. There was certainly no splinter-celling over security or hiding from foul-smelling npower engineers this time. Whether or not that's a good thing I'm not so sure..

Pulverising fuel mill (absolutely vast compared to the one at Uskmouth from the other month)

IMG_6791_1_zpsr9vfs0n0.jpg

In fact, everything in here was about twice as big as it's corresponding part in Uskmouth

IMG_6857-2_zpsxx196dyb.jpg

IMG_6848_zpsykcngmnv.jpg

IMG_6853_zpscyimnbf6.jpg

I believe these fed coal into the Pulverising Fuel Mill to be crushed

IMG_6860_zpsludrw9pv.jpg

It was at this point we realised that the the station wasn't going to be as modern and lifeless as we'd feared.

IMG_6813_zpsbcmgg5l5.jpg

IMG_6844_1_zpsgx66ynew.jpg

Propane burners for igniting the coal dust

IMG_6865-2_zpsaujyrv4h.jpg

IMG_6871_zpsqgy4c3mg.jpg

IMG_6868_zpszlognuad.jpg

From the boiler house gantry:

IMG_6891-4_zps7kskleve.jpg

IMG_6886_zpsmncizkh4.jpg

The architecture of the turbine hall itself didn't really do it for me. The station was built in the 1960s but I have a feeling the turbine hall has been retrofitted at some point.. either way, it felt more like a 1980s leisure centre than a power station.

IMG_6914_zpsdy5acpq1.jpg

It was, however, astonishing to see how far technology advanced in 10-or-so years. Just one unit in the B station had the same output as all 7 in the A station combined.

IMG_6899-3_zpsmgo6vaqk.jpg

IMG_6893-2-3_zpskj31cxuw.jpg

IMG_6824_zpsl0intv7n.jpg

In retrospect we should have gone down that staircase and had a poke about below the turbines, but I was feeling a little bit 'turbined out' by this point.

IMG_6837_zpsfn9qze7y.jpg

The rooms off the side of the turbine hall housed the switchgear. I did briefly go in but it felt very live in there, however I did dig the groovy escape hatches in the floor:

IMG_6823-2_zpsojqrj1vy.jpg

The decommissioned generating set, very interesting:

IMG_6842-3_zpsyrzuzqej.jpg

And finally a stator, or in layman's terms the coil set that the rotor spins in to generate electricity, in pristine condition. Also note the dismantled turbine blades to the left. Half a million horsepower in this picture ffs

IMG_6924_zpskwhcbwlw.jpg

I'd still rather have done Grain.​

Last edited:

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
A totally 'not shit' report! Good write up too. Like you said, amazing how technology has progressed for something the majority of us take for granted and don't really think about.

huey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not shit at all but you're still not getting a like....interesting and bloody huge by the look of it, nice work as always batty.

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Good stuff again dude! Get Grain done anyway as it's a fun one & those turbines are all you'll ever need in your mind turbine wise forevermore if you do get to see them :thumb

m9

big in japan
Regular User
awww yeahhh!!! I don't think why modern is synonymous with lifeless though..? Find me a picture of a modern coal fired powerstation turbine hall that is lifeless and I'll, errrm, give you a like?