real time web analytics
Report - - Tirdeunaw School, Swansea, October 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tirdeunaw School, Swansea, October 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RealBBNC

Fence lover
28DL Full Member
first post here go easy lol

The visit
First came across this place after a rumour from someone my friend was talking too. Whilst my friends did an initial visit, not yet every building and area of the site got explored. I will try my best to cover every area of this site, but its large so be warned there will be a lot of iPhone taken pictures :lol
The more we explored this place, the more destruction and decay we found, with signs of heavy scrapping attempts to remove any wires in sight! Hanging from the ceiling and all. From what I've scoured around on the internet for, there seems to be no urbex or exploring documentation of this place until this post.
Please do give me feedback :)
@A-DOG loves his "What" signs :lol

The history

Mynyddbach County Secondary School for Girls was built to the designs of H. T. Wykes and opened in June 1959. The school was designed as an upper and lower school, inked by a main entrance hall and large and small halls. The two halls were separated by a sliding folding partition an were capable of being thrown into one to provide a large meeting area. The middle school was later added, and linked with the existing buildings. The school was constructed with a steel frame and castellated beams carrying the floor loads. Windows and quickly-erected wall cladding, therefore, replaced load-bearing walls. In addition to being functional, this system gave the feeling of lightness associated with contemporary designs. Reflecting the new education system propelled by the 1944 Butler Education Act, Mynyddbach School included 19 classrooms, 5 laboratories, 4 domestic science rooms, 2 needlework rooms, 2 craft rooms, 2 art rooms, 2 libraries, and 2 gymnasia, together with an admin section and medical inspection room. Playing fields were sited to the north and west sides of the building, adjoining the common.
The all girls school (Mynyddbach) was closed in 2001 and was reformed into mixed-sex Daniel James Community School before being closed in 2012. The welsh section was named Tirdeunaw (occuiying the western part of the site until relocation into a new site, next to Ysgol Gyfun Bryntawe (November 2021)

The images

1. Main hallway of one of the big buildings

2023-10-21 14.22.03.jpg

2. Another hall way

2023-10-28 14.32.45.jpg

3. An old science room sitting, collecting dust.

2023-10-28 14.33.39.jpg

4. A good view of how much the greenery has taken over (featuring smashed windows)

2023-10-29 22.55.37_1.jpg

5. My friend climbing out of the pool after signing the wall
2023-10-29 22.55.38_1.jpg

6. A front view of 2 of the big buildings (can you spot the alarms?)

IMG_3817.JPG

7. A creepy looking hall
IMG_3820.JPG

8. An upstairs view
IMG_3821.JPG

9. Strolling threw more halls
IMG_3825.JPG

10. The hanging wires and lack of roof tiles
IMG_3828.JPG

11. Another creepy hall
IMG_3834.JPG

12. Pool buildings canteen room, looking down a hall
IMG_3839.JPG

13. The upstairs poolroom building halls
IMG_3840.JPG

14. Room leading to the pool
Untitled-2.png

15. Below is the view down from a water tower? its the tall metal box looking thing you can see from the road.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 164045.png

Untitled-1.png
16. The pool itself
17. @A-DOG posting for the camera 18. Clambering around to another building
Untitled-3.png
Untitled-4.png

Hope you all enjoyed the terrible iPhone pictures

Last edited by a moderator:

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
Not a bad effort for a first report, but the images could do with a bit more consideration at the time of taking them. Try to concentrate on framing interesting features in the shot rather than snapshots of your mates.
Other than that it's a well put together report, good write-up and history.

RealBBNC

Fence lover
28DL Full Member
Those were the only pictures I had of the place and I wanted to upload a first report on it, thanks for the suggestions though. I'll try revisit soon and take better pictures :)

RealBBNC

Fence lover
28DL Full Member
All good for this one, just something to bear in mind for future explores
Yeah ill take it into consideration since when i visit places its more of explore and document it rather than spend time photographing specific elements of the place. But for future places ill make sure to take some time to properly take pictures. Any tips for taking on iphone? (12 to be exact)

Seffy

Staff member
Agree with Andy, r.e. the photo quality/composition, but fair play all the same for taking the time to compose a report. Also a fan of South Wales getting some bandwidth!

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
A nice first report indeed, think I may have driven past this wondering what it was like. With the images I would recommend just trying to take them a little straighter, always makes for instantly better photos, and also try resizing them a bit smaller in your posts so they don't take up the full width of a PC screen.

RealBBNC

Fence lover
28DL Full Member
I've got a goos 30+ possible new place reports to make in the future so I got my work cut out for me😂 (my list of places stands at around 70 now I think, majority being undocumented)

RealBBNC

Fence lover
28DL Full Member
I definitely need to spend more time going for specific pictures rather than random things like I said before. Thanks for the feedback too

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Not bad for a first report, well done!

But I’ll second the point about less shots of your group and more of a focus on the location as a whole.

RealBBNC

Fence lover
28DL Full Member
Yeah i plan to revisit to take better shots with more focus on the place. Any suggestions of like how to take it? like framing (portrait/landscape) and what to take pictures of?

Fido Dido's Cousin

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah i plan to revisit to take better shots with more focus on the place. Any suggestions of like how to take it? like framing (portrait/landscape) and what to take pictures of?
Try to see other posts for inspiration, I reckon.

Alongside looking up some basics of photography as well, which can be of help to understand things like framing.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User

Just take photos of what you like. There's no hard or fast rules and the more photos you take the better you get at working out what makes a good or interesting photo.