real time web analytics
Report - - Titan - the largest natural underground pitch in the UK, Peak District, October 2012 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Titan - the largest natural underground pitch in the UK, Peak District, October 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I thought you all might enjoy a write up of a proper caving trip.

Titan is a relatively new discovery near Castleton in the Peak District. It is the UK's largest natural underground pitch at 141.5m (which is an flippin' long way, especially up). The history of the place is as epic as the place itself. Natural caves link up with man-made lead mines and underground canals, totalling about 17km of passage.

A vague description of a vast chamber was found in a miner’s history, which enticed cavers to spend several years engineering their way through a number of boulder chokes and collapses to find it. Starting at the tourist cave, Speedwell cavern, they broke through into "James Hall Over Engine Mine" in 1993 and then through to a location called Boulder Piles in 1996, which previously had only be accessible to cave divers. On 1/1/1999 they finally broke through the boulder choke at the bottom of the Titan shaft. 5 months of climbing and bolting followed until they reached the top of the shaft. The top was only 50m from the surface, the exact position found by radio location. 3.5 years of digging and blasting through solid rock made a 50m vertical shaft down to a short passage and ledge near the top of the shaft.

This is the way we went in. There is a small manhole cover in a field near the top of the hill above Castleton. It leads to a locked trapdoor where you rig the first of 3 ropes.

1-TitanManhole.jpg

After a fun abseil down 45m, you need to cool your stop in a puddle to dump the potential energy of your descent.

2-TitanTopshaft.jpg

You then follow a short engineered passage.

3-TitanToptunnel.jpg

and emerge on the ledge at the top of Titan shaft, where you see the awesome size of it. Leaning out over the void, you rig your second rope onto three nice, solid bolts (you make sure you use all three just in case).

4-TitanRiggingthetopoftheshaft.jpg

Looking down from the top of Titan (This photo credit - Robbie Shone).
5-TitanShaft-ByRobbieShone.jpg

It turns out that what you think is the bottom of the shaft (if your torch is bright enough) is only halfway down. A feature called the Event Horizon is a narrowing of the shaft, where you can stop and rig your third rope before continuing down to the bottom alongside a waterfall that emerges from a passage at Event Horizon level.

Photo looking up from the Event Horizon.

6-TitanAbseilingaboveeventhorizon.jpg

Looking down from the Event Horizon.
7-TitanfromEventHorizon.jpg

At the bottom of the 141m shaft you wonder how the hell you are going to get all the way back up that little 9.5mm bit of string. Happily, you can follow the route of the original explorers through the boulder choke at the bottom of the shaft. It's leads through fairly challenging caves and mines, through other large chambers, small crawly, muddy tunnels (a memorable one called Colostomy Crawl) and ladders up old mine stopes. At one point you hold your breath and duck under a mud-filled dip in the passage.

8-Titanduck.jpg

You finally emerge into a man-made underground canal. Here, the canal is mostly waist deep, with a short swim where the flow quickens towards the sound of a thundering waterfall. It turns out that the sound is from an overflow called The Bung, which flows down a small hole rigged with a steel ladder. You climb down this with water pouring over your head.

You re-join the natural caves, eventually emerging in the back of the Peak Cavern tourist cave, with its plastic slide left over from Tom Baker in the Chronicles of Narnia and candles lit by the guide for the next ghost tour.

There was the small problem of how to get the ropes back that we had left rigged in Titan. This meant a second trip in the next day, abseiling down to the event horizon and then ascending back up the second pitch (70m) and the entrance shaft (50m).

If anyone is interested in doing some caving and are based in London, let me know. Outside London, contact your local caving club. They will probably buy you beer and persuade you to undertake some equally awesome caving trips.

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
I can't believe this was posted 9 years ago and there's been no real comments. I'm very grateful a few weeks ago I was guided through Titan Through Trip by some "locals" generous with their time. It is fantastic, what a ******* amazing trip. Anyone who goes underground and doesn't want to do this trip needs their head examined.
It's great. It has a bit of everything from SRT to walking dry mine tunnels to crawls to streamway, literally a little taster of everything is thrown at you.

Great trip report guys!

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
I can't believe this was posted 9 years ago and there's been no real comments. I'm very grateful a few weeks ago I was guided through Titan Through Trip by some "locals" generous with their time. It is fantastic, what a ******* amazing trip. Anyone who goes underground and doesn't want to do this trip needs their head examined.
It's great. It has a bit of everything from SRT to walking dry mine tunnels to crawls to streamway, literally a little taster of everything is thrown at you.

Great trip report guys!
after a while comments get deleted mate, especially if the system changes software etc

Reactions: GG

Wheaters

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I went potholing a few times in my youth. The thought of ending up like 22 year old Neil Moss did, in Peak Cavern in 1959, put me off.

Neil is still down there, by the way... :(

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
I went potholing a few times in my youth. The thought of ending up like 22 year old Neil Moss did, in Peak Cavern in 1959, put me off.

most people that go potholing are just following well known routes,Neil Moss was pushing into unknown territory….same with diving,climbing new routes,exploring the jungle……..risk is all part of it

Wheaters

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, everything has its risks and I've certainly had to take a few in my time, but this was one pastime I chose to desist from. At the time we were free climbing underground and above with no equipment or safety gear, not even hard hats. It was almost fifty years ago though.

GG

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

A good end to avoid. Avoidable by not crawling head first down unknown narrowing shafts.
The places I go to tend to be huge cavernous and not claustrophobic at all.

Wheaters

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A good end to avoid. Avoidable by not crawling head first down unknown narrowing shafts.
The places I go to tend to be huge cavernous and not claustrophobic at all.

I understand he actually went feet first down a ladder, after he got jammed they tried to pull the ladder up but his arm became caught between it and the wall. It then went totally pear shaped and he died after about 36 hours, either from CO2 poisoning and hypothermia.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User

The Nutty Putty Caves incident in the States is arguably even more awful a way to end up, enough to put you off it for life.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
The Nutty Putty Caves incident in the States is arguably even more awful a way to end up, enough to put you off it for life.
Just looked that up……..grim……I don’t think I’ve ever done anything that tight a squeeze or would even like/try to do.

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Strange that people often mention squeezes as the most worrying thing? There are a few flat out crawls (not hands knees crawl I mean flat out and squeezing) involved in the trip reported here, but look at pic 8. That's a crawl tighter than hands knees (although not super tight) but it's a dip filled with water sort of like a toilet u bend, a "sump", take a deep breath and go for it. Getting stuck in a sump seems worse to me than stuck in a dry crawl

Reactions: GG

Who has read this thread (Total: 260) View details