real time web analytics
Report - - Toledo Woodhead Screws Ltd, Sheffield | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Toledo Woodhead Screws Ltd, Sheffield

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

snappel

BMW 4 LIFE
28DL Full Member
Sitting at the dinner table as a child, I remember reading 'Sheffield Steel' on the back of my knife. I always envisaged Sheffield as a huge industrial town, which of course it was, but unfortunately when I finally got round to visiting last year I discovered that there's not much heavy industry left.

Anyway, playing cards today with my girlfriend, I happened to check the back of one of them and was surprised to see they were promotional cards from a Sheffield spring manufacturers. An interesting history, and I was pleased that perhaps a bit of Dweeb's attention to detail had rubbed off on me! Her grandad used to work for Vauxhall in Bedford, so the cards probably came from him, so I assume Vauxhall bought their springs in from Sheffield (where else?!).

The company I think once used this address:

TOLEDO WOODHEAD SPRINGS LIMITED. ADDRESS: PO BOX 88, 27 DEWSBURY ROAD, OSSETT, WEST YORKSHIRE, WF5 9WS

It's a PO BOX, so probably isn't necessarily where they were based. Anybody know anything about this company, or if any of the original factory buildings survive?

Dsc_0062.jpg

Dsc_0066.jpg

Dsc_0064.jpg

Dsc_0065.jpg

God, I'm an anorak. I just explored a pack of playing cards... :rolleyes: