real time web analytics
Report - - Tranmere WW2 Deep Shelter, Birkenhead - Feb 2015 | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tranmere WW2 Deep Shelter, Birkenhead - Feb 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silverstar

28DL Member
28DL Member
To be honest I've got a bit of a thing for lighting shots the way it looks when you're down there, in the pitch black with a torch. Some of those shots had decent, even lighting and I ended up using a bunch of radial and gradient filters etc to fuck em up when I was developing the raw :D

Weird eh? I could come up with a bunch of art-school wankbollocks about how lighting a shot this way pulls you into the scene and makes you feel a personal connection instead of simply documenting the location. But really, I just think it looks cool :thumb

Cheers, I totally forgot to do the shafts! There's a little bit up top that I need to add as well.

The tunnels were actively used at the end of the war. My mother wheeled me there with a cardboard baby crib gas mask, from Hinderton Road. The tunnels were refitted in 1960 ish as a nuclear fallout shelter. Part was equipped as a hospital. My cousin's firm renewed all the electrics. It was then sealed up. You wouldn't have found any graffiti as it wasn't the thing to do then, any more than one would defile a hospital today. I lived on the top of the quarry, my parents until 1985 isn. People kept pigs in Holborn Square which would escape frequently. Nothing funnier than a load of drunks from the numerous hostelries trying to catch piglets on Old Chester Road. Fortunately ittle traffic at all.

CureForPain

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report, found it very interesting and love your sense of humour.
The lamp in one of your photographs was the standard road works lamp used during the 50s and 60s, it contained a small tin of parrafin in the base with a wick which when lit lasted for about twelve hours. It had red lens on three sides and as kids we nicked the lamps to light our dens, my dad had a couple in his greenhouse to keep the plants warm in early spring as they gave out quite a bit of heat with the wick turned up and the lens removed.

Cheers for clearing that up, with a bit of nostalgia too! It's the kind of thing you see everywhere but have no idea what it's used for, roadworks makes sense.

Anyone have any new reports as to wether its still possible to get into here, me and a friend went looking today with our camera gear, but we didn't really know where to look or what to look for, so instead we went up to the observatory.

....good luck. Of three entrances, one is buried behind a butchers, one is sealed up tightly in a garage with a VERY proactive owner, and the third has been capped off with a big steel plate. I know this because I was inside when they started capping it! (see above :D)

excellent mate
Bloody hell, I though you'd gone of the radar! Cheers man.

Great photos and brilliant write up, had me chuckling xD
Just as well...since I took zero pictures on the second visit and the first set were rushed and crappy, humour is pretty much all I've got :p