real time web analytics
Report - - Tullis Russell, June 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tullis Russell, June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanDoll

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History

The company was founded in 1809 by Robert Tullis as R Tullis & Co.

Tullis Russell produced paper and board for use in cards, covers and premium packaging. The Markinch Power Station was built to provide electricity and steam to the paper mill. Construction began in 1912 and was completed in 1914. Originally consisting of a single Parsons turbine and generator unit, the power station was enlarged in 1921 to add another two units. The ability to co-fire oil along with coal was also introduced at the same time. The powerhouse was then expanded once again and a fourth, larger Parsons turbine was added. In 1979 David Russell expressed his concerns about energy shortages and suggests that Tullis Russell must save coal. He devised a method of continuous working to avoid closing down at weekends which saved 70 tonnes of coal. He also started looking for an alternative to burning oil. In 1999 one of the boilers was converted to run on gas, but it was realised that cleaner and cheaper energy was still required. In 2012 RWE invested in the Glenrothes site to build a biomass power station to replace the ageing coal plant. The new plant provided both steam and power to Tullis Russell, and made the old plant obsolete.

History robbed from @UrbandonedTeam - cheers lads haha!

Explore

Thank you to @Brewtal for being my guide here! Was good to put a face to a name. Really enjoyed this one. funnily enough i seemed to have missed the previous reports from here so imagine my brain when I walked in! Yes i know, late to the party

Anyhow, another update on the place. Still well worth the look even thought the biomass plant on site is still very live.

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3957-HDR.jpg

IMG_3962-HDR.jpg

IMG_3964-HDR.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great to meet you at last! Glad you enjoyed this one, shame you didn’t get to see the turbines intact though. You got some great shots.

Pixels

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pics! Was a great day, had fun exploring this place with you guys

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Surprising it’s still like this. If anything it looks like it’s been tidied up a bit. Id of thought it would have been well ripped up from when we went.

Nicely done. Any sign of workers or has it all stopped?

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Yeh, im quite interested in whats going on there too? Have they finished demolition on the rest of the site? Has this just been left for dead now? Ive not bothered on the last couple of Scottish trips as it was fairly dodgy when we first did it. Expected it to go at some point.

UrbanDoll

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Surprising it’s still like this. If anything it looks like it’s been tidied up a bit. Id of thought it would have been well ripped up from when we went.

Nicely done. Any sign of workers or has it all stopped?

I didn’t include some photos of the messier sides of the turbines , I’ll pop them in the comments after work tonight
Absolutely 0 sign of anyone

UrbanDoll

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeh, im quite interested in whats going on there too? Have they finished demolition on the rest of the site? Has this just been left for dead now? Ive not bothered on the last couple of Scottish trips as it was fairly dodgy when we first did it. Expected it to go at some point.

I only head to this part of the site, however, the buildings surrounding this were all still there, there was a bit of rubble here and there but nothing indicating major demo.

I think it’s been rinsed by metal fairies in some parts