real time web analytics
Report - - TURNER BROTHERS ASBESTOS,Rochdale 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - TURNER BROTHERS ASBESTOS,Rochdale 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ReeceUrbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Turner Brothers Asbestos was one of Greater Manchester’s oldest firms and was forced to leave its hometown after more than 100 years. TBA Textiles Ltd has been based at the Turner and Newall factory in Rochdale since 1875But the developer which owns the site has told the firm to leave by May 2012. The Rochdale site was the birthplace of the modern asbestos textile industry and headquarters of the T&N worldwide empire until 1948.

The site of the old Turner Brothers asbestos textile factory at Spotland upon which plans for developing a housing estate of 650 houses is currently being considered.

Turner Brothers Asbestos (TBA) were pioneers of asbestos material fabrication, and developed spinning and weaving processes. Production commenced in the early 1870’s, and it ended in the Spodden Valley in the mid 1990

These Pictures where made within 2 trips at the former asbestos site in 2020

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Images need attaching there’s a guide here if someone could link up.

The place is in a sorry state these days, I nipped back in late last year for another poke about.

It was worth the trip a few year ago just to see some of the characters pinching the metalwork, one fella only had one leg and a comedy Slazenger sports hold-all, the type you had in the 80’s

Five.Claws

General Nuisance
28DL Full Member
Sounds like definitely a masks-on explore, this one !

It was worth the trip a few year ago just to see some of the characters pinching the metalwork, one fella only had one leg and a comedy Slazenger sports hold-all, the type you had in the 80’s

I really, really hope he had a Slazenger shell-suit too, plus lots of curly hair and the tendency to say "calm down, calm down" a lot.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Guide to writing a report and adding the images:

tigger

mog
Regular User
Perhaps a good thing ...Turner's Asbestos huts survive better than steel Nissen sections?
All of the intact buildings are Turners, compare to the Nissens with collapsed roofs and sides.

Five.Claws

General Nuisance
28DL Full Member
Perhaps a good thing ...Turner's Asbestos huts survive better than steel Nissen sections?

A good thing indeed, my partner's family were telling me about how a large asbestos barn near them did once manage to catch fire, and the asbestos smoke and debris contaminated the soil for a mile radius. Apparently the authorities had to do a Chernobyl-style clean up including scraping away the "infected" top soil and having it securely disposed of. Crazy !

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Some really nice shots there. Lots of natural peely decay, also like the shot with reflections :thumb

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Must admit i thought this place had been flattened. Thanks for the update. Was there anything left of the records room that was one of the best i had encountered stuffed full of old paperwork etc. well worth the trip just for that room alone of course that was back in the day.

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
There is interesting history at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_&_Newall. you will see the company were eventually taken over by Federal-Mogul, but they didn't check or ring fence non-asbestos business meaning that they also rang into financial problem. This meant they had to close profitable sites like Bridgwater, which made bespoke pistons. making people like my late brother - in law redundant

Who has read this thread (Total: 348) View details