real time web analytics
Report - - Typhoo Tea Factory, Birmingham - June 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Typhoo Tea Factory, Birmingham - June 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Pixels

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The History
Typhoo Tea Factory, founded by John Summer in 1903, was known as one of Birmingham's most prominent landmarks. The factory was used for tea production from the 1930's, surviving bombing by the Luftwaffe in WW2. Typhoo merged with Schweppes in 1968 and the following year merged with Cadbury to form Cadbury Scweppes. The factory eventually closed in 1978.
The site, which is currently being used as a 148-space pay and display car park,
has been granted planning permission as part of a £14 million project to be turned into a university campus for Birmingham City University.

The Explore

So after months and months of constantly checking this place, access finally popped up during a Birmingham trip with @plod, @jellyfish, @Kiean14 and @DdotMC. We started the day off with the usual quote of "lets check typhoo again even though we won't get in", followed by our customary perimeter check for access and another visit to the boiler room, and surprisingly we managed to find an access point which had evidently come up fairly recently so our timing was spot on there. We spent a good 3 or 4 hours exploring the tea factory as well as S Rose & Co; there was a lot to look around (and we did get lost a few times, we had more trouble finding our way out than trying to find a way in!) although sadly nothing much was left there which was a bit disappointing as nobody would have guessed what it was by looking at the place, but it was still definitely worth the trip. Despite the failures it was a pretty successful day. Thanks to everyone who came :thumb

27940733942_ea580cccae_z.jpg

27940703672_c943f94403_z.jpg

27762618200_ca0fcb39a5_z.jpg

27965447151_c53be052f3_z.jpg

27940703582_c9dc8f9f57_z.jpg

28008469206_414654a56f_z.jpg

27965446671_bab8d2e248_z.jpg

28008470686_f530e108d4_z.jpg

27965447411_385fedb7a0_z.jpg

28043235575_0b13623579_z.jpg

27940703412_4601f40785_z.jpg

27940703292_92f1de51f8_z.jpg

28008470366_18c2d47573_z.jpg

27965446381_b1ea74c3ac_z.jpg

Alohomora

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pictures it's just a shame on how these places detariate so quickly tbh.... Nice report

Pixels

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Since I did this explore I've been getting a lot of messages asking about access and I'd just like to let people know that the Typhoo Factory became inaccessible about 2 weeks after I did it in mid-June as the building is now being used so it has recently been sealed off.

I don't mind helping people out if I am friends with them or at least recognize them from the forum, and if they've got some of their own reports up I know they've at least bothered so I don't mind giving a few tips, however there are obvious reasons why I won't just give out access details to whoever happens to come along and ask me. It's just I happened to notice that a lot of people who asked me didn't even manage to crack the boiler room. Don't get me wrong - I'm more than happy to meet up with people to go exploring and I'll help anyone within reason, I've tried to be as polite as I can but it's literally not the only thing I'm here for.

I spent nearly a year repeatedly scouting this place, and I'm lucky to have had my chance but sometimes it's just a case of waiting it out and checking it every so often. Sadly now isn't the time where Typhoo is accessible but another opportunity will come up. I understand why people want to explore Typhoo but there honestly isn't much to see now and there is lots more in the area anyway so it isn't really a wasted trip for anyone, you just gotta either look harder or move on.

Pixels

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
@Six I get that, I didn't used to really mind but it's when they make it so blatant that they aren't prepared to do a single thing for themselves, like what I pointed out about the boiler room! Easy to get into, goes unnoticed... I just wrote the comment to let people know it's no longer do-able before they message me, or even plan their day around doing that one explore!

Electric

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I had visited when passing a few weeks ago. High security as they were filming (I can't remember) an American TV program there at the time.
Friendly security guard explained some of their things, including several large dummy satellite dishes and aerials that had been erected on the roof. Are they still there?

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I had visited when passing a few weeks ago. High security as they were filming (I can't remember) an American TV program there at the time.
Friendly security guard explained some of their things, including several large dummy satellite dishes and aerials that had been erected on the roof. Are they still there?

Spielberg is filming his new movie in Digbeth at the mo, could have been his lot.

Decender

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes it is indeed Spielberg's crew. Filming footage for new film 'Ready Player One'. Not sure if they are still filming (i believe so though).