real time web analytics
Report - - Up Empty Carriage Line AKA Camden Rat Hole - London - Aug 2014 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Up Empty Carriage Line AKA Camden Rat Hole - London - Aug 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

extreme_ironing

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi. :]

I know it's quite a well documented location already but wanted to share my trip down here. Having worked ontop of the Eastern tunnels for a few years now I thought I had a good grip of what was going on underneath street level but didn't know about access to a disused rail tunnel, finally got around to it at the start of this month and had a blast exploring down there.

Not much remains of the Western Horse Tunnels AKA the Camden Catacombs, cut off from the larger Eastern part, they still provide access to two locations worth checking out. One is the Grade II listed Stationary Engine vault, once used to house a pair of Steam Engines which would pull trains above up the steep incline and over the canal. The other is an mostly abandoned rail tunnel, never electrified and used to move empty steam train carriages, the 'Up Empty Carriage Line' also known as the Camden Rat Hole.

Up Empty Carriage Tunnel lit up, this is a level below the Western Horse Tunnels.

6rbzIo3.jpg

Horse stairs.

LGbprOG.jpg

Crossroads in the Horse Tunnels, at the end were the original horse stairs to the surface but these were destroyed when a warehouse above was expanded.

AgkEd9Y.jpg

Looking out towards the southern coal storage vault for a stationary engine room. Not too interesting but it's all I could access for now due to flooding, plan on going back and measuring the depth and perhaps go down there. More info below.

rlsJHRf.jpg

National Rail archive plan for the Stationary Engine Complex. On the image above I'm standing on the bottom left, looking out towards the coal store, the northern coal store platform is partially collapsed, the two wells are still open and if you fell down one of them there's about 20 feet of dirty water directly underneath. The engines once located in this building used to pull cables which in turn pulled the trains running above. Being directly underneath the now electrified tracks meant you could hear the trains running only a number of feet above.

c7DyoMa.jpg

Shaft going down to the old carriage line.

pUzjO33.jpg

Ladders up to the Horse Tunnels.

Ir3BTTc.jpg

Some more modern equipment, plumbing and power cables are all that this tunnel is used for currently.

pJCbcqh.jpg

Lit up with a torch.

aDi10cE.jpg

Lit up in this fashion highlights the tunnel detail really well.

fHiqMit.jpg

An exit onto the canal towpath.

NlmMMNe.jpg

I've done a much more extensive write up with high-res photos on my blog page: http://www.unexposed.photography/Visits/Camden-Town-West-Horse-Tunnels. Have linked back to 28DL.

Really enjoyed checking this place out, thanks for reading. :]

gPub

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks cool mate. what lights did you use for the 2nd last pic.

They make it look quality without the normal bright half/dark half of the photo. .

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Quality pictures there, really evenly exposed. First shot's a belter! Nicely done :thumb

I'd also be interested to know what those lights were you were using.

extreme_ironing

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers for kind comments.

Lights were some budget tealights I got from the supermarket and in the first pic I have my torch pointing upwards from a pit between the tracks. :)

I'd imagine that (if any exist) PIRs are by the tunnel exits. I didn't go near them on advice of another member. Made 2 trips before bringing my camera gear to see if any reaction came from my being there, seems good. :thumb

Fudge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Best pictures I've ever seen from this place, that first one is cracking.

OliverT

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice work. the water level in the stationary engine house has gone down quite a bit from how it was three years ago; maybe they pumped it recently for inspection or are in the process of doing so.

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
i really like what you've done with these shots :thumb
The tealights shots are excellent - that extra effort goes a long way