real time web analytics
Report - - Ushaw College - Durham - February 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ushaw College - Durham - February 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hidden

28DL Full Member
Ushaw College / Chapel - Durham - Feb 2011

Visited with Zero81 & Only2Eyes (Thanks for driving mate)

It was snowing, indeed it was... This led to myself being piss wet through, freezing, aching and being generally miserable for the day. A flask of tea can only keep one happy for so long. I felt like an old soggy dog...

Our planned access had also taken a wander so that meant for much clambering around and playing Tarzan aswell. However, we were rewarded after 1 and a half hours of deliberating how we were to approach it :thumb

Ushaw College (St Cuthbert's College, Ushaw) is a Roman Catholic seminary, . It was founded at Douai as the English College, Douai in France in 1568, which moved to Ushaw Moor, four miles west of Durham in England in 1808 and became a Licensed Hall of the University of Durham in 1968. It is independent of the University but offers courses validated by the University. Both Church and lay students study at the college. In 2002 the College rejected a report from the Roman Catholic hierarchy that it should merge with St Mary's College, Oscott, near Birmingham. In October 2010 it was announced that the college is to close in the summer of 2011 due to the shortage of vocations in the Roman Catholic Church, and that the site is likely to be sold...
Some of the college's buildings are no longer used, but some have been converted into a conference centre. The main college buildings are grade II listed, however the College Chapel is grade II* and the Chapel of St Michael is grade I. The Refectory was designed and built by Pugin, as was the original chapel although this was later dismantled and replaced by the present building designed by Dunn and Hansom. The original college buildings (1804–1808) were designed by James Taylor...

FRONSEMHDR.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg
DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg
DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg
DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg