real time web analytics
Report - - Ushaw Roman Catholic Seminary | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ushaw Roman Catholic Seminary

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

emotive69

cloak of invisibility
28DL Full Member
Ushaw College is the seminary in the North of England for the formation of Catholic priests, deacons, religious and lay ministers. Founded in Douai, now in the North East of France, in 1568, it has occupied its present site, four miles west of Durham City, since 1808. It has strong ecumenical links with Cranmer Hall and the Wesley Study Centre in Durham, and it became a Licensed Hall of Durham University in 1968.

The Governors and the Trustees of the College are acutely aware of the growing educational needs of the wider Church in a changing world. They decided in October 1998 that the rich resources at Ushaw could be made available to serve the Church throughout the whole of the northern region of the country. They widened the scope of the mission of the College by resolving that:

Ushaw be developed as an Institute for mission providing formation and education for seminarians, clergy, religious and lay people.

Ushaw is in the process of development. The Seminary is the heart of the College and will remain so. Courses for seminarians, clergy, religious and lay people are now on offer throughout the year. The College also has excellent facilities for people to arrange their own conferences throughout as well as special spaces and accommodation for young people. All of these facilities are described in greater detail elsewhere.

thanks to Goan for the heads up on this ...

It was a snowy and white day making access all the more fun , but giving the place that magical dusting of white powder Liam Gallagher would be proud of .. part of the college is still in use and part of it derelict , no sign of the guard horse !

I will start with the glorious outside in the snow shots which we actually did last but hey !

ush1.jpg

ush2.jpg

ush3.jpg

once inside it was up a set of pigeon sh** filled stairs past the bell , which on the way out I rang , the donger was fooked and so was the bemused pigeon that fell off the the top of the bell as it swang ...

ush4.jpg

along another corridor and pearing round a metal shutter we spotted this ... hmmm ... looked suspiciously like a body in bag to me .. but hey we werent here to solve crimes - sploring to be done so onwards ..

ush5.jpg

up the stairs and into the attic , small childrens shoes not so comfortable looking deffo not from clarks , a metal green lawn tennis set and some bibles were amongst the dusty treasures ..

ush6.jpg

ush7.jpg

the hall upstairs was huge and must have some important parties in its day !

ush8.jpg

plenty of doors to choose from

ush9.jpg

some little kids sledges awwwww

ush10.jpg

and some early abacus type thingies :)

ush11.jpg

obligatory peely paint and twist stairs , seems to think its an asylum , then we also noticed one of the doors had a sign on it - Gartnavel Royal Asylum ?? been taken from an Asylum in scotland , how strange

ush12.jpg

more detail ...

ush13.jpg

ush14.jpg

ush15.jpg

and then it was into the jewel in the crown , the chapel , have used mild HDR on a few of these due to the enormous amounts of detail this place tries to convey ..

ush16.jpg

ush17.jpg

ush18.jpg

ush19.jpg

ush20.jpg

ush21.jpg

ush22.jpg

ush23.jpg

there are many more pics so i will add them to this report but thats enough work for tonight , still to come some fantastic detail shots from the chapel and some strange cells and weird toilets ...

thanks for reading hope you enjoy

emotive69

emotive69

cloak of invisibility
28DL Full Member
Ok here goes with the rest !

firstly some marvellous detail from the chapel ..

p.s it should be noted I have edited out the mindless graffiti daubed on statues etc as not only does it spoil the shots but i would not want anyone to be under the misapprehension that i understand or agree with that sort of vandalism .. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been anyone on here at least

ush26.jpg

ush27.jpg

ush28.jpg

ush29.jpg

ush30.jpg

ush31.jpg

ush32.jpg

ush34.jpg

ush35.jpg

ush36.jpg

ush37.jpg

there was a huge metal safe behind the chapel that was open and another which was very locked , some valauble stuff here in its time

ush38.jpg

and then it was on to a section of the building that slightly disturbed me , tho it may be ignorance on my part , the amount of bars and secure areas left me wondering what went on in here ?

ush39.jpg

ush40.jpg

ush41.jpg

ush42.jpg

ush43.jpg

and then onto the cellar where it seemed art classes had taken place , hand made stained glass and printing materials littered the cellar.

ush47.jpg

ush48.jpg

ush49.jpg

some more interior detail

ush50.jpg

ush51.jpg

following on from the popular George Foreman Grill , The Chris Eubank Vaccuum

ush52.jpg

ush53.jpg

and a final goodbye to a great explore ...

ush54.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Ushaw under snow, pre-graffitti infestation, and an accessible chapel... Absolutely joyous. Would love to have seen what the pool looked like 7 years ago, although it's still the only part of the place left with no vandalism I believe. The whole thing is probably my favourite abandoned building in Britain, something about it...

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking report. No way into the pool then. Still some really nice shots.