real time web analytics
Report - - Ushaw Seminary, Barn. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ushaw Seminary, Barn.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Ushaw Barn

Introduction:

I know what you're all thinking, another Ushaw thread, great... This is a part of the site that is rarely reported on though, just like the pool we found in December last year! I'm sure people will have been in here before though, but I'd might as well put up a report to go with the other two I made of the main buildings and chapel, and the pool just for site completion, these reports can be found here:

The Seminary and Chapel

The Pool

That said who knows, Ushaw seems to be one of those places where we discover something new every visit!

History:

Wikipedia: In 1804 Bishop William Gibson began to build at Ushaw Moor, four miles west of Durham. These buildings, designed by James Taylor, were opened as St Cuthbert's College in 1808. There was a steady expansion during the nineteenth century with new buildings put up to cater for the expanding number of clerical and secular students. In 1847, the newly built chapel, designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin was opened. This was followed by the Big Library and Exhibition Hall designed by Joseph Hansom, 1849-1851. The Junior House, designed by the distinguished architect, Peter Paul Pugin, was added in 1859. St Cuthbert’s Chapel, designed by Dunn and Hansom, was opened in 1884, replacing an earlier one byAugustus Welby Northmore Pugin, which the seminary had then outgrown. The Refectory was designed and built by E. W. Pugin. The final development came in the early 1960s with the opening of a new East wing, providing additional classrooms and single bedrooms for 75 students. The main college buildings are grade II listed, however the College Chapel is grade II* and the Chapel of St Michael is grade I.

My Bit: The above is a general history of the sites origins, but the barn itself was constructed alongside the seminary so that the monks who lived and worked their could be self sufficient and provide for themselves. The Barn seized to operate as part of the seminary, in 1972 and is now a listed building, this is due to the rarity of finding a barn that has been designed to match the design of the seminary. The barn has sty's for pigs, and cattle and also has stables for the horses that would have worked the fields, as well as a large area for hay storage for feeding and bedding the animals. The site was added to English Heritage’s Heritage at Risk Register in 2013. As things stand, the site has been leased to the North of England Civic Trust and they are looking at the possibility of developing the site to establish Heritage Skills Institute.

Pictures:

The Exterior, looking from the road toward the barn, in the foreground the outdoor pig pens can be seen.

16909046262_6e2aa28a72_c.jpg

Inside the barn on the top floor, this area was used for the storage of bedding and food for the animals.

16722974700_cb0ec1d2c2_c.jpg

Up the ladders we came across these little baby chicks, I managed to get a shot without disturbing them, I'm not sure whether they're Pigeons or Starlings? Anyone know?

16724096889_e3f4dd6f73_c.jpg

There where quite a lot of these old sacks lying around too, personally I find this sort of thing really interesting!

16288015574_de0a0fafc4_c.jpg

Down stairs where the last remains of the old belt driven power system.

16909402321_d7798f80c1_c.jpg

The Roofing alone was something to behold, the timber beams are pretty impressive!!

16910376875_fa5c22ca61_c.jpg

16275772804_deec1b29a7_c.jpg

Moving downstairs to the Pens and Stables...

16910356075_c91ed78492_c.jpg

Pig Pens!

16910345295_2e25bd0e2c_c.jpg

16298944114_d1512f0cbd_c.jpg

16287924174_e3365cdf80_c.jpg

Water trough...

16909099472_375a27ce71_c.jpg

Moving on now to the downstairs for a look around the stables!

16703009307_5fb9484eb8_c.jpg

There's still quite a few interesting items littered about the place, we found these down in the stables...

16884422476_6f455f671c_c.jpg

Stable Balm...

16722644508_bf68971756_c.jpg

Medication for poorly cattle!

16722910210_4275d722b9_c.jpg

And to finish off with a shot of the Stables for the working horses...

16724123819_32b252d789_c.jpg

And that's all from here, I understand this won't be of interest to everyone but I really enjoyed my wander round, the place has a charm and a lot of character, all the Victorian timber work and old fashioned stables really made it seem like a special little find!

Also on the subject of lovely Victorian timbers, be careful if you decide to visit, I did put my foot through the floor at one piece, so stay safe!

Cheers for reading! :thumb
TAW

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well it"s certainly more interesting that a lot of the trashed Derps on here mate :) :thumb And deffo more interesting than the house out front......oops that"s not the next report is it ;)

Mighty impressive structure i thought & we only had a quick mooch round here to avoid the residents at the time, and after lasting all of 2 minutes at the Seminary :oops:

i"d suggest Pigeons, going off the fact the nest is made of fuck all bar 2 twigs and shite ;)

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Loving the light in that loft. You got some cracking pics.

They are definitely squabs (pigeons under 4 weeks), ugly little rats with wings.

I really doubt they kept pigs in pics 9-12 though and for a few reasons - The water troughs are very high for a pig, the overhead tap for a daily wash-down is very unlikely for a pig, pigs are usually kept out-doors, on mud and with a little shed for shelter - this would be like a pig RItz!

I think that they are both horse boxes.

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers Guys!

Borolad - Cheers mate, I reckon that's Ushaw done now, or at least until we arrange to see the main building?!

Yorrick - Thanks, yeah looking back on the shots I think you might be right, would have to be a pretty tall pig to make use of the water trough etc!

Krypton - Really? Surprising that, plenty of places to hide in there, must have been bad luck I guess, we saw movement though whilst we where in there he got was driving to and from the house a fair bit!

Last edited: