real time web analytics
Report - - Uskmouth B Powerstation - Wales 2014 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Uskmouth B Powerstation - Wales 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

m9

big in japan
Regular User
So here's one for the record books. According to its owners SSE, Uskmouth B was the UKs oldest and most polluting powerstation before they took the thing offline in May this year. It's another victim of the EUs drive to cut emissions and levy phat taxes on any industrial plant that spews out too much carbon which has seen the early closure of some of the great institutions of UK power generation over the last couple of years.

uskm13_zpsd9e3c53d.jpg

Uskmouth B was brought to my attention by Boba and Howser at some point over the summer, and while not as gargantuan as some of the LCPD behemoths we've seen on the umbrecks books this year, it still manages to hold its own and certainly entertained me and Jobs on a spare Saturday afternoon. Unlike a lot of the other newish UK powerstations I've done, in which you're pretty much guaranteed an open door once you've made it past the fortress permitter, Uskmouth has been locked up proper. It's very well secured and occupies the same site as a new Gas fired station on the old A site and I know a few heads have given it a tickle to no avail over the summer.

As usual though, there's always a way with these things, and after about 3 hours of hacking through bramble, wading through pete bogs and diving around coal fields hoping to fuck the secuitronz weren't about to do a random drive round, we popped out of a small door into the Turbine hall.

uskm4_zps595e3333.jpg

Devo'ed the old EnglishElectic covers have been skipped though.

uskm7_zpsa1d5bd42.jpg

uskm8_zpsa2169896.jpg

Pop trivia: Uskmouth was used as a back drop to an episode of Dr Who in 2006..

uskm5_zpscff55a31.jpg

uskm3_zps78ed0271.jpg

The control rooms are all locked behind the maglock doors that seem to be everywhere in this bloody place, but they don’t look too epic. Interesting bit of trivia though - each generating set at Uskmouth has it’s own mini control room, rather than a centralised mega one. Not seen that before.

uskm6_zps71f51933.jpg

uskm9_zps6f5d9186.jpg

The coal crushing and conveyance section is quite pretty, you don’t get these bit long open halls too much, especially on the poncy new ones that have all been converted to biomass and have to be sealed to prevent dust explosion.

uskm1_zps18b2039b.jpg

uskm10_zpsdfeaf242.jpg

uskm11_zps221e578b.jpg

uskm2_zpsf3a25ff2.jpg

So another good one. Come back from Belgium please, your country needs you.

uskm12_zps9b4a714b.jpg

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Splendid stuff, good to see these continuing to be smashed :thumb

Much ♥ for these places, sad to see many of them being pulled apart as we speak :(

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Nicely nicely :thumb

Good to see more of these still popping up & it looks an awesome place. Well done guys, keep on going :D

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
Maaan! I reckon I spent about 36hrs solid trying to get inside there before I flew.. Still looks as good as I'd hoped too!

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Really decent mate ,you guys do love turbonz!!as for dr who i asked the wife before i went on google she was correct about it in part but got the year wrong per episodes wicki says it was used a fair bit for filming :D

Bigjobs

Official Smartarse
Regular User
You'll kick yourself when you find out where/what access was.

Bonus points for the canal barge being worked on in shed that wasn't long enough for it.