real time web analytics
Report - - Verne Citadel Married Quarters, Isle of Portland - March 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Verne Citadel Married Quarters, Isle of Portland - March 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User

This was a chance discovery whilst on holiday to Dorset earlier this year. I'd arranged to meet a friend at Portland and whilst parking up we came across this interesting bit of military heritage (hopefully this makes the cut above residential :rolleyes:). It was a pretty misty rainy day, but it wouldn't have been right to photograph these buildings in anything other than the bleakest of conditions. There isn't much to report of the explore itself as it was all rather straightforward. Thought it would be worth a post as haven't seen it covered before despite its ease.

Portland-49.jpg

Setting the scene: a misty view over the moat to Verne Citadel/HMP The Verne

The History

These buildings comprised the married quarters for the Verne Citadel on the fascinating if not eerie Isle of Portland. In other words, they were accommodation for married troops (likely those of higher rank) where they could live with their families rather than with the grunts in the standard barrack accommodation. There was originally even a school for soldiers' children. There's not much more specific information available about the buildings, but the two surviving stone A and B blocks being built in 1872 and 1874 respectively at the time of the fort, whilst the two semi-detached houses were a later construction. It is difficult to date these but they may have been built in the 1960s, with their furnishings barely looking changed since a decade or two after suggesting that they were left disused for a long time. The Victorian blocks contained 24 quarters each over two floors, and were last inhabited during the 1980s and have suffered from water ingress substantially. Their interiors were altered during the 1950s to accommodate four much more spacious residences. The floors were largely missing and the interiors looked very rough, so I merely took two shots in through the doorway of these.

Verne Citadel itself was a Palmerston Fort built between 1857 and 1881 as part of the series of fortifications defending Portland Harbour which it overlooks. It is defined by a large ditch and access via a large stone gated archway you have to drive through to enter. The fort was converted into a prison in 1949, which has seen continued use into present times including to lock up Gary Glitter, with the exception of use as an immigration centre from 2014-2017.

More good history can be read here (source of information).

The Victorian Blocks A & B:

Portland-1.jpg

Portland-25.jpg

Portland-28.jpg

Portland-7.jpg

Portland-4.jpg

Portland-2.jpg

Portland-3.jpg

Portland-24.jpg

The 1960s Semi-Detached Blocks:
Portland-6.jpg

Portland-26.jpg

Portland-21.jpg

Portland-10.jpg

Portland-9.jpg

Portland-12.jpg

Portland-13.jpg

Portland-15.jpg

Portland-16.jpg

Portland-17.jpg

Portland-18.jpg

Portland-19.jpg

Portland-23.jpg

A Quick Stop at the Verne High Angle Battery to finish:

Portland-40.jpg

Portland-43.jpg

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Like that mate. Some great wallpapers. Been to Portland many times. But as a kid though. My nan and grandad lived just out of Weymouth and I lived there for a short while. Not been Dorset for years though.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Like that mate. Some great wallpapers. Been to Portland many times. But as a kid though. My nan and grandad lived just out of Weymouth and I lived there for a short while. Not been Dorset for years though.
Yeah plenty of choice of tasty old school wallpaper here haha. This was the first time I'd been to Dorset actually but seemed like a great bit of the country, good natural scenery too

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yeah plenty of choice of tasty old school wallpaper here haha. This was the first time I'd been to Dorset actually but seemed like a great bit of the country, good natural scenery too
I love old wallpapers for some reason. Yeah it's a beautiful part of the country and spent many summer holidays down there.

mw0sec

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
In the 70's, my band had a gig in the prison. It was bleak winter, which emphasised the effect of entering through the grim entrance. All it needed was a sign saying "Abandon hope all ye who enter here"!

Wastelandr

Regular User
In the 70's, my band had a gig in the prison. It was bleak winter, which emphasised the effect of entering through the grim entrance. All it needed was a sign saying "Abandon hope all ye who enter here"!
Haha love that, it has that feel

Who has read this thread (Total: 193) View details