real time web analytics
Report - - Vesalius Institute - Belgium - February 2019 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Vesalius Institute - Belgium - February 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TrevBish

www.TrevBish.co.uk
28DL Full Member
I had seen a few pictures appear online to what looked like a museum, a little bit of research then found the location, at one stage it was a museum and they done tours but now it is under heavy guard and half of it has been demolished. We had a look round at various rooms, it seems we visited a few rooms that wasn't part of the museum but most of the doors were sealed. They have on site security as we found out who didn't hesitate in calling the police, 3 vans turned up for us! I wanted the morgue rooms with slabs, but unfortunately we had been caught by this point! I have included a few photos from the internet of the parts we missed.

History translated from Google!
The Vesalius Institute (or the Skills Center Anatomy). Both the hospital and the institute are part of the Hertogenite, a major urban renewal project in the city center. The story of the institute goes back to 1744. In that year, a small anatomical theater was built. This was to small for the amount of students who studied at the institute, they upgraded to the one you see below:
The new buildings are a better design as this made sure that the bodies of people could be transported privately rather than openly, which was the old design. This changed in 1877.
The building is designed by Joris Helleputte has an anatomical theater with room for 200 students. It is the first cutting house in Europe with electric lighting.

In 1950, rector Gerard Van de Schueren reorganizes anatomical education at the university. The Vesalius Institute and the Pathological Institute now form one institution. The building complex will be expanded once again and the old building of the Vesalius Institute will be furnished as a clubhouse, library and dining room.

After the division of the university in 1968 and the establishment of the UZ Gasthuisberg, the buildings will be vacated one by one. Most services have since moved to the new campus at Gasthuisberg, only pathology still use part of the old buildings. This department will move in 2021. After that, Resiterra will start the re-conversion of the complex. The interpretation is not yet fully determined, but the HistarUZ museum will certainly be accommodated there. In addition to the museum, there will mainly be residential facilities.

123 (1 of 1).jpg

IMG_0106-HDR.jpg

IMG_0115-HDR-Edit-Edit.jpg

IMG_0120-HDR.jpg

IMG_0121-HDR.jpg

IMG_0124-HDR.jpg

IMG_0130-HDR.jpg

IMG_0135-HDR.jpg

IMG_0136-HDR.jpg

IMG_0141-HDR.jpg

Now a few from the internet on the parts that we missed!

All photos below are from: https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2018/12/28/markante-plekken-het-vesalius-instituut/
Owner: Alexander Dumarey

58e964d7-0a76-11e9-abcc-02b7b76bf47f.jpg
aea67619-09eb-11e9-abcc-02b7b76bf47f.jpg
af0cb1fa-09eb-11e9-abcc-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Ah nice one - this was the place with the babies in jars everyone flocked to a couple of years back, I remember trying to get into that part you did, we managed the other mortuary rooms though before some doctor in white coat started shouting at us so we legged it.

TrevBish

www.TrevBish.co.uk
28DL Full Member
Ah nice one - this was the place with the babies in jars everyone flocked to a couple of years back, I remember trying to get into that part you did, we managed the other mortuary rooms though before some doctor in white coat started shouting at us so we legged it.
Oh is it? I thought the babies in jars was a different location. I might be wrong.

darbians

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh is it? I thought the babies in jars was a different location. I might be wrong.
The babies were definitely here. There was one jar still there recently. Wish we had a much better look around now. You guys found some great stuff here.