real time web analytics
Report - - W T Knowles & Sons - Fireclay & Coal mine, West Yorkshire - January 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - W T Knowles & Sons - Fireclay & Coal mine, West Yorkshire - January 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mstarmatt

Northern Monkey
28DL Full Member
Following on from Willy Bummers's recent report on this place a return visit was planned so he could show his dark passage off to me, JST, Thompski, and Bungle :gay
There is very little history on the tinterweb about this place unfortunately:
The pipe works was originally located on the hillside to take advantage of the shale rich clays of the Coal Measures. These are now no longer economic to mine and some of the raw material is now obtained from the brickworks in Elland, the clay is the wrong quality to make bricks and so is a waste material.
Once we'd dropped in to the mine me and JST had a mooch around the workings nearby while the other went in search of epic and as we had limited time I didnt get to venture too far, although far enough to brush past a prop and watch it almost turn to dust :eek:
I'm looking forward to getting back here soon as theres loads still to be explored!

Anyhows heres some pics!

Structually sound :rolleyes:
DSCF4445.jpg

DSCF4435.jpg

DSCF4439.jpg

DSCF4436.jpg

DSCF4426.jpg

DSCF4430.jpg

DSCF4437.jpg
DSCF4443.jpg

DSCF4442.jpg

DSCF4429.jpg