real time web analytics
Report - - WT Knowles Pottery Mine, Elland - March '12 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - WT Knowles Pottery Mine, Elland - March '12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

aem

Perilously hopeless....
28DL Full Member
Visited with WB, RaptorJesus, Thompski and J4M35_UK.

Great little mooch this one, always adds to the excitement when death lurks around every corner due to crumbling roof props and scarily large cracks in the roof :eek:

Not much info is to be found on the tinterweb, however I did manage to pikey this little tit-bit

There were as many as 11 adits on this site but all latter day working was concentrated on just 2. The mine was on the edge of Elland Park Wood and was operated by W.T. Knowles & Sons Ltd who used the product to supply its Pipe Kilns at the adjacent site. The mine was worked by horses pulling wooden tubs until replaced by dump trucks in mid-1975; at this point the last horse 'Trojan' was retired. The mine sadly closed soon after on the 30th September 1976, virtually no traces remain.

I think they may have been lying when they said "virtually no traces remain." I have pics to prove!

WTKnowles9.jpg

WTKnowles8.jpg

WTKnowles7.jpg

WTKnowles6.jpg

WTKnowles3.jpg

WTKnowles2.jpg

WTKnowles1.jpg

Hold up, what's that ominous glow in the distance????? :confused

http://s870.photobucket.com/albums/...action=view&current=268750089876554_60363.mp4

Time to GTFO!!

WTKnowles4.jpg

Props to WB for the tunes and J4M35_UK for the vid :thumb