real time web analytics
Report - - Wadkins Woodworks - Leicester - May 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wadkins Woodworks - Leicester - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After leaving Lincoln at 5:30am we drove to Leicester with a list of places to explore, some worked out, some didn't...
I visited Wadkins with Hamtagger, Session9 and Catbalou. I beginning to understand why there aren't a lot of reports on it now with how annoying gaining access was. It was a lot better inside than I expected too, some parts seemed a bit out of place (The room with medical supplies and makeshift bed) and the security there is slightly retarded. We walked past his office (That we didn't know about at the time) talking normally and he was just sat in there watching Tennis completely oblivious to the fact we could see him.

History Lesson
"Borrowed" from Moosker. In 1897 John Wadkin founded the company alongside his brother in law Mr W Jarvis. The company was formed following an idea to invent a machine that would be so versatile that it could carry out operations that were originally done by hand. John Wadkin titled this machine, "a pattern milling machine" The partnership was not successful and Mr Wadkin eventually left the company. Mr Jarvis then acquired the help of Mr Wallace Goddard with the intention to expand the business.
Mr Jarvis became acquainted with a Greek gentleman by the name of Ionades who invented an advanced carburettor. General Motors in the US confirmed that they were interested and invited Mr Jarvis for a meeting to discuss, which led to Mr Jarvis booking a place on the Titanic as a means of travel and the disastrous result that he went down with the ill-fated liner.
This left Mr Wallace Goddard with a business in Leicester and no-one to run it. Luckily he had a son that took charge and this continued until 1927 when Mr J Wallace passed away.
The 1914-1918 war saw the Government ask Wadkin for help to develop a machine that could turn out wooden propellers for the R.A.F. at a high-speed rate. After the war the demand for woodworking machinery was at a tremendous upsurge.
In the 1920's the development of the integral electric drive led to the introduction of more efficient types of woodworking machines. Wadkin pioneered high production machines that operated at much higher speeds than before and had better finished woodwork.
Throughout the 1930's Wadkin extended their range and entered the high technology market and began making larger, high production woodworking machines such as moulders and double ender machines.
The first Wadkin numerically controlled machine was produced in 1956 and the machine proved to be successful and generated much interest from the industry.
From the 1990's Wadkin recognised the need to develop back up service support to its machine customers, and developed a nationwide network of engineers in developing its customer response team, which still stands today offering support 365 days a year.
Since this, Wadkin have been at the forefront of development and have been named the first British business to be accredited as a learning company by UK Woodchain.
In 2010 following the liquidation of Wadkin Limited, the intellectual propert rights were purchased by Nottingham based woodworking machinery distributors and manufacturers A L Dalton Ltd. This move brought together two long established woodworking machinery suppliers who have traded with each other for over 50 years and accumulated over 200 years experience in the industry between them....​

The same shot everyone who comes here takes
14319407665_1b56fe77b6_c.jpg

Yellow Machinery, the pigeons near this bit were quite annoying
14132875497_b153c38a86_c.jpg

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day...
14132797550_7b1eb2fc81_c.jpg

Electric Six popped into my head here.
14296236306_c2d23352d4_c.jpg

My favourite snap of the day (I stole the puddle idea from Hamtagger) Thanks mate
14296233056_a409f5bb80_c.jpg

The light at the end of the....factory
14318735114_2a7715fbbd_c.jpg

I can resist a shot of stairs
14318732454_b6579f36a5_c.jpg

This room still had lights on
14296223766_29db958668_c.jpg

I may or may not have rearranged a few keys
14317535392_7250bc7aff_c.jpg

Windows
14317532092_65e6466a76_c.jpg

We had a failed visit to this hotel after Wadkins
14132748410_63e1189d25_c.jpg

Thanks for taking time to read my report.
Wadkins is definitely worth a visit to anyone who's in or near Leicester

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks.
We did get into the offices but I didn't want to cover too much with my report so all 4 of ours won't look the same.
Quite a lot of it was locked too and the doors were screwed shut.

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
apparently its going to be refurbished

Considering the area it's in and the fact that it's abandoned it's mostly in really good condition. All they'd need to do is a clearout and it could be another factory/offices.

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice that mate! Very tidy shots indeed! My nipple still hurts a little from the access. Nice puddle reflection there too.

If my Commodore 64 laptop would stop being an arse I should have some reports to upload by July 32nd :D

Haha! I'll keep an eye out for them. How did the other places go after me and S9 left?