real time web analytics
Report - - Waterloo Tunnel - Liverpool - 01/2013 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Waterloo Tunnel - Liverpool - 01/2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Please apologise, as a native German speaker from Nuremberg,
I'm not safe with collecting properly the informations I'd need for an introduction, so I will have to use links.
Also I write this mostly out of my head with my long time ago school English, might contain mistakes.
The first railway in Germany was running from Nuremberg to Fuerth in 1835 with a Stephenson locomotive.
A few years ago I saw an exhibition with replicas of the locs participating in the Rainhill Trials, to be chosen for the Liverpool and Manchester Railway.
This, together with the important merchant history of Liverpool, the docks, the Leeds and Liverpool Canal only one mile away,
added to the little exploring adventure into the tourist no-go area, makes those abandoned railway tunnels a bit more than just wet, muddy, dark throats;
you may visit them with a movie in your mind.
The visited WATERLOO TUNNEL for me, it is not the most important one, that's the Wapping Tunnel, but it is part of that history.
It gives new ideas what to search for: rope or cable pulled, gas lighted, steam power, persons or goods,
the conflict rail vs. canal, sandstone,bricks, did they bild houses of the extracted stone?....etc....
Liverpool is a good place for that

Somewhere in the middle
N°1
-
1_zpsf8c20956.jpg

Too bright, but I like it. Difficult with the light, there it's bloody dark and the walls swallow all the light.
N°2
-
2_zps42660af3.jpg

Is this part of the original pulling cable infrastructure?
N°3
-
3_zps18dbefa0.jpg

Overrun by shovel loader , whenever this was ?
N°4
-
4_zps5e9e6284.jpg

„Bigfoot“, thanks God I didn't meet him in the dark
N°5
-
5_zps94bebf4b.jpg

Direction Byrom Street cutting
N°6
-
6_zps4ae6996f.jpg

Byrom Street cutting
N°7
-
7_zps9a9bbd86.jpg

N°8
-
8_zpsd8bab5c8.jpg

Turned back at this dump, wasn't enough equipped for that place.
I only had normal shoes and trousers and no spare as I was in Liverpool by plane, mainly for other reasons than exploring.
I had a kilo mud sticking under my shoes and the dump was so slippery. Also it was already afternoon and I still wanted to visit the Stanley Dock area in daylight. Had to come to a decision, next time till Edge Hill. Would liked to have seen the sandstone area. That's live.
N°9
-
9_zps21e876ed.jpg

What's that light in the Victoria Tunnel, the other end should be much further away?
N°10
-
10_zps4e3ad8d8.jpg

What's up there ?
N°11
-
11_zpsee537a6a.jpg

Brickwork. How might the tunnel have been built ? Open and then covered maybe ?
N°12
-
12_zps5e3391be.jpg

Towards the docks
N°13
-
13_zpse2338b3a.jpg

Strange things find their way into the tunnel, a wheelchair seen in another report is now back to the Waterloo side
N°14
-
14_zps535d3d70.jpg

N°15
-
15_zps937cd6aa.jpg

Not really much of interest in that tunnel
N°16
-
16_zps2b6122a0.jpg

My photo lighting system, cellar found brand:
-12V-55W halogen handlight,
-12V-2,4W SMD LED – 130lm – 3000k/ warm white
-old 12V accu from a cordless skrewdriver
Problem: The halo beam was wide and flat not round- needs correction
The LED worked well (14), will add a 500lm
N°17
-
17_zpsfb007bbc.jpg

sum up:
use wellies there, have strong lighting, Tikka lets you walk, Duo shows you way, more could make you see, go by day, taking photos need lots of time there, I had lots of problems with automatic focussing in the dark and some photos failed by that.
I used up to 60sec exposure and went along the walls with the beam, so they look a bit cloudy

Maps of 1890 :
Plan of Liverpool - North Sheet ,low left, red is Waterloo Station
Plan of Liverpool - South Sheet,up, left to right, the thin dashed doubleline above Lime street line to Edge Hill

Last edited: