real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Wearmouth Colliery Sunderland Stadium of Light April 1999 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Wearmouth Colliery Sunderland Stadium of Light April 1999

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jimmy9092

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This isn't strictly an urbex, I just wanted to share these couple of pics. The first one is of me & my Dad at the Sunderland Stadium of Light in April 1999 before a match with West Brom. The Sunderland Stadium of Light opened in July 1997 and it was built on the site of Wearmouth Colliery.

The second picture is also me & my Dad at Wearmouth Colliery. Wearmouth Colliery was opened in June 1835 and closed in November 1993. We're standing near the lamp cabin which is behind the U in the seats in the first picture. We'd just ascended the C Pit which was roughly where the D is on the 18 yard line just out of shot on picture number 1. The C pit was a manriding/materials shaft and had a triple-decker cage, 50 men per deck. We'd been on G150 face on the 1570 level. To get there today you'd have to dig up the penalty box, go down 1570ft, go between the piers in Sunderland Harbour, go 5 miles east under the sea then take a sharp turn north.

wearmouth01_zps74daf03c.gif

View attachment 619277