real time web analytics
Report - - Wellington/Knoll Mill - Greenfield - March 2010 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wellington/Knoll Mill - Greenfield - March 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
There are 2 other recent reports on Wellington Mill, both were thorough and covered most of the history and interesting parts. I have included in the report a couple of areas not covered in those reports as well as a few general images of the demolition and things I found interesting.

Wellington mills in Greenfield, Oldham were built in 1852 for Shaw, Son and Lees cotton spinners who traded until 1858 and were the succeeded by N Broadbent and Sons until 1932 after which the buildings were left unused for 6 years. 1938 saw part of the buildings used as a general engineering works and in 1941 the rest of the premises were opened up with the installation of 362 looms by the fabric weaver B.Kershaw.

In the years up to 1946 the engineering section of the mill produced engine parts for bombers after which it became first a naval store and then a store for the British Wool Board. In 1946 the buildings and land were purchased by William Oddy who transferred their woollen carding and mule spinning operations form Shipley to the mill. This was the birth of the Knoll Spinning Company. However, the mills closed in the late 90's.

As well as the weaving the mill buildings were used by Norman Broadbent Funeral Directors, Pennine Fine Arts, Raymond Wrigley and Sons (Joiners and builders) as well as Tony Nicolson & Associates who were management consultants. The final use of the mill was for storage in the out buildings to the East, these were demolished in 2007.

As of Feb 2010 the mill is being demolished to make way for a Tescos, only one of the smaller mill buildings which abuts Wellington Road will be left. Judging the speed at which the buildings are being demolished; I’d say there are only weeks left to pay Wellington Mill a visit!

Wellington Mill

WellingtonMill.jpg

Norman Broadbent - Funeral Director

The entrance hall, complete with calming fish tank

WellingtonMillthewaitingroom.jpg

The waiting room, plants look as if they need a good watering!

Theundertakerswaitingroom.jpg

Entering the morgue

TheMorgue.jpg

Thankfully the only dead thing was this pigeon :-)

WellingtonMillThemorgue.jpg

Now a few general images from the rest of the mill buildings and demolition work.

Reflecting on the works in progress

WellingtonMillreflections.jpg

Between floors

Betweenfloors.jpg

Stairwell

Stairwell.jpg

Another stairwell

Anotherstairwell.jpg

Overview, many of the low level buildings have been demolished

Squarewindow.jpg

This is my first report, have tried to show some images of the mill which have not been posted recently. Looking at the progress of the demolition works much of the site will be gone by the end of the month!​

Last edited: