real time web analytics
Report - - Wellington School, Midlothian - January 2018 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wellington School, Midlothian - January 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with a mate I went to school with. We started pissing about in all the old derps in Dundee when we were teenagers. This was the first time we had seen each other in about 12 years. Now we are in our early 30's but we both still have the exploring bug. He had been eyeing this up for a while but hadn't found a way in because it is sealed up tight. It took me minutes to find a very discrete way in that was very easy to overlook!

It is pretty dull but I figured I'd post it anyway as it hasn't been reported on here. Mostly empty but a few cool bits left behind.

History:

Wellington School, Midlothian, Scotland was a residential school for boys, owned by the City of Edinburgh Council and operated by the Council's Children and Families Department.

Established in 1859 and initially known as "The Wellington Reformatory Farm School", the school was the creation of "The Edinburgh Association for the Reformation of Juvenile Offenders"; one of the founding members of the association was the Rev. Dr. Thomas Guthrie. The Wellington Reformatory Farm School sprang from thinking similar to that which created the Reform School developments in the United States.

The school admitted its first pupil in February 1860: James Watt, aged eleven years. James had been convicted at The Police Court of Edinburgh and sentenced by Sheriff Hallard to fourteen days imprisonment and thereafter five years detention at the Reformatory School. James's crime had been the "theft of a bottle of hair oil from off a barrow on the street". James had had no previous convictions.

Although the word "Farm" was dropped from the school's name many years ago, it was still often referred to in Edinburgh as "Wellie Farm".

In 2013 the decision was made by council officials that the school should shut because of falling numbers. After 153 years the school closed in June 2014.

The school's War Memorial listing those of its pupils whose lives were lost in the Great War is to be lodged in Penicuik South Parish Church.

The school archive has been preserved for posterity including admission papers which stretch back to the first pupils, correspondence from former pupils and the medical register. Many of the records have gone to the City of Edinburgh Archive, whilst some are held by the Penicuik Historical Society. In August 2014 confidential files were found unsecured in the building.

q21oIdTh.jpg

8DrjUoVh.jpg

hjq7lEyh.jpg

HtS5hQEh.jpg

8Ks4innh.jpg

Al0afyjh.jpg

lk7g85Zh.jpg

I2HrkK7h.jpg

Ejkmqf2h.jpg

LWP0LiDh.jpg

D2Ey99ph.jpg

ikYLQkPh.jpg