Web
Analytics
Report - - West Park, 22/02/08 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - West Park, 22/02/08

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
#1
Explored with The Riddlers.

Saw loads of new stuff, which we kind of concentrated on.

A few pics of the day...

The hairdressers. Quite large, hair dye and rollers everywhere...

IMG_3456.jpg


IMG_3457.jpg


Map room is now open...

IMG_3468.jpg


IMG_3472.jpg


IMG_3474.jpg


IMG_3476.jpg


IMG_3479.jpg


There's lots of old documents and contracts in there, and I'm sure some gems will turn up in the future.

Down to the laundry, the plaque is still there...

IMG_3481.jpg


The memorial reads...

"In Memory Of Nathaniel Heckford MD, MRCS.
Born in Calcutta April 1842.
Died 14th December 1871.
Aged 29.
He Founded This Institution At His Own Cost In A Warehouse At Ratcliff Cross
January 28 1868

HE LIVED FOR IT

And Died A Few Days After The Site Of This Building Was Purchased By The Committee Of Management Of This Hospital.

In Memory Also of
Sarah Heckford
(Widow Of The Above)
Who Shared With Her Husband In All The
Trials and Anxieties Associated With The
Early History Of This Hospital
And Died 18th April 190?

and someones been trying to recreate my front room !...

IMG_3482.jpg


IMG_3484.jpg


IMG_3487.jpg


Hmmm you might not have seen this before... the clothing store...

IMG_3493.jpg


IMG_3498.jpg


IMG_3509.jpg


IMG_3503.jpg


IMG_3505.jpg


IMG_3507.jpg


IMG_3521.jpg


and it's basement...

IMG_3514.jpg


IMG_3511.jpg


There's some tents, a rucsac and Scouting stuff in there...

IMG_3526.jpg


Looking into the former main hall. Note the fake stained glass...

IMG_3528.jpg


Pikey damage...

Look at the tiles removed and stacked up...

IMG_3531.jpg


and the missing lead...

IMG_3463.jpg


Finally, the dentists...

IMG_3533.jpg


IMG_3537.jpg


IMG_3539.jpg
 
Last edited:

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
#2
Re: West Park, 22/02/08 - REPORT

The plaque refers to this...

The East London Hospital For Children And Dispensary For Women was founded in a converted warehouse at Ratcliff Cross in 1868, and originally known as the Shadwell Hospital for Women and Children. It was established by Dr Nathaniel and Mrs Sarah Heckford as a result of their experiences in Wapping during the 1866 Cholera outbreak. In 1875 the Hospital moved to a new building in Shadwell, helped by Charles Dickens raising funds by publishing two articles about the Hospital. In 1930 it had 136 beds. Its name was changed in 1932 to the Princess Elizabeth of York Hospital for Children.
In 1942 an Act of Parliament was passed to amalgamate the Hospital with The Queen's Hospital for Children in Hackney to form The Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children. The Hospital was administered as one, but functioned on two sites: Queen Elizabeth, Hackney Road and Queen Elizabeth, Shadwell. A third site at Banstead, Surrey, the Banstead Wood Country Hospital, was opened in 1948. By the early 1960s the number of beds at Shadwell had fallen to less than 50. The Hospital was closed on 30th April 1963 and the building subsequently demolished.

The Queen's Hospital for Children was founded in 1867, in Virginia Road, Bethnal Green as the North Eastern Hospital for Children. The Hospital moved to Hackney Road, Bethnal Green, shortly after its foundation, and was renamed Queen's Hospital for Children in 1907. The Hospital was amalgamated with the Princess Elizabeth of York Hospital, Shadwell, in 1942, and renamed the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children. The Queen Elizabeth Group Hospital Management Committee was formed in 1948 to administer The Queen Elizabeth Hospital on its three sites on Hackney Road, Shadwell and Banstead.
On the closure of the Shadwell site in 1963 the Hospital amalgamated with the Hackney Group to form the Hackney and Queen Elizabeth Group. This arrangement lasted until 1968, when the Queen Elizabeth Hospital was detached from the Hackney Group and placed under the Board of Governors of the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street. The Hospital's Convalescent Home was managed by a Committee which selected a site in Bognor in 1868. The foundation stone was laid in October 1897, and the Home closed in 1912.