real time web analytics
Report - - Westbrook House - June 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Westbrook House - June 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

msaunder1972

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Westbrook House School wass Folkestone’s only preparatory school.Founded in 1947 by Kenneth ‘Fozzie’ Foster who hailed from Selby, the school was a dream job that he ran until 1968 (When he retired). It was then taken over by Naill Washington-Jones, who was determined to bring it back into prominence in Kent after years in the educational
wilderness. Westbrook House had been through the doldrums following many successful years as Westbrook House, Dover College Junior School, Dover College Prep. In the 1990's Heads changed rapidly – Stephen Abbott, Roger Lewis and
Lesley Watson.The 100 th Anniversary of Dover College saw it break away from Westbrook House and in 1994 Westbrook House again. In 1997 it came together with St Mary’s Convent as St Mary’s Westbrook. On the face of it, this seemed to be a sensible idea, but the two schools were in fact pulling in different directions.
The schools were separated again in July 2005. At some point in the 2000's the swimming pool, that was donated by parent and built by pupils in the 1960's filled in.August 3rd 2008 report in Sunday Times states the credit crunch has led to a “massive surge” in parents being pursued for unpaid school fees, quoting a leading firm of lawyers who represent independent schools.This eventually brought about the demise of Westbrook House, falling pupil numbers led to its closure.

Visited with Nelly, Skeleton Key and Tsstranger.....I was framed for the theft of a Choccie Cake :(

Some pictures from its past:

kngfoster1958jpgw180h217.jpg

Kenneth Foster

mapwestbrook1951jpgw560h380.jpg

Maps of its boundary's

StMarysConventShortcliffeRd1914_260x401.jpg

Some Internals

adormitoryjpgw560h419.jpg

aclassroomjpgw560h408.jpg

External

View attachment 336861

One of the original buildings after a V1 strike

westbrookbomb.jpg

A class shot and a pupils school report

1965R.jpg

CSU19780007.jpg

Now my shots:

mary003.jpg

mary019.jpg

mary018.jpg

mary016.jpg

mary015.jpg

mary010.jpg

mary005.jpg

mary012.jpg

mary001.jpg

mary021.jpg

mary032.jpg

mary029.jpg

mary020.jpg

mary026.jpg

mary040.jpg

mary051.jpg

mary046.jpg

mary045.jpg

Last edited:

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That is a fine report, great mixture of history, archive shots and new shots - a real joy to read.

Cheers :thumb

msaunder1972

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I believe its all correct but it has been an absolute pig to find....fear not I vented my frustration on a flying rat that played chicken with the car and lost to my roof rack....sadly I hadn't realised that half of it was stuck on my roof rack until I made it home :(

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
You made it to a few areas that me and Frosty missed by the looks of it, like the hall and the bit with the stained glass in.

Nice report. :)

msaunder1972

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yea lots of SK over complicated access :) see Nelly squeeze through a chapel window and me promptly walking through the unlocked front door was amusing too...and some sticky fingered so and so stole nelly's choccie cake :)
Maniac yeah we missed the attic I believe and the boarded part of the building seemed inaccessible too shame..

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Yea lots of SK over complicated acces :) see Nelly squeeze through a chapel window and me promptly walking through the unlocked front door was amusing too...and some sticky fingered so and so stole nelly's choccie cake :)
Maniac yeah we missed the attic I believe and the boarded part of the building seemed inaccessible too shame..

SK does like a challenge :)

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User

The upstairs of that place is quite confusing, there's at least 3 maybe 4 seperate areas all accessed by their own staircases. The attic area you can see in our report is in the right hand section (looking from the road) :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details