real time web analytics
Report - - Westland Wessex - June 2012 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Westland Wessex - June 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Happyshopper

Brian Blessed's Codpiece
28DL Full Member
After seeing Havoc and Pixies reports I really had to go and see the Wessex since it's so close to me and pretty damn intact. I spent a good hour on Google maps trying to spot it before they both pointed out that it hasn't been there long enough to show on the satellite view :wanker

Anyway, I turned up and started to go for a mooch across the fields, which was nice. Makes a change. Yeah. Then after a few minutes I found myself up to my armpits in thistles and nettles - Bug take note, shorts are a bad idea! I eventually got to the Wessex a good hour after leaving the car, taking a ridiculously roundabout route. Still, I made it.

I wasn't exactly looking forward to the return journey though.

Havoc put up a better history than I ever will, really interesting stuff. I won't steal it all since it's only a click away, but to summarise the Wessex was first flown 4th November 1964, and made it's final flight May 2007.

It must get fairly regular attention as someone has tied the blades back. I took a straight shot but didn't notice a huger than huge daisy obscuring the whole front of the helicopter :banghead

I went for the juicy bits first and climbed straight into the cockpit, where I immediately got a nasty surprise when the door came off in my hand! Tripod in one hand and door in the other, I climbed carefully back down in the nice strong winds to place it on the floor. And start again.

7432965626_482e70288b_o.jpg

7438651424_8ae0da7243_o.jpg

I obviously wasn't playing with any of the switches and buttons. Oh no.

Right, back outside....

7438650976_9075cee283_o.jpg

7438651258_2c33d7cc9e_o.jpg

At this point I remembered there was the crew area inside which I hadn't even thought about :crazy

7438717832_347b840201_o.jpg

Right, I guess that's it, better go for another cross country jaunt back to the car...

x​

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details