real time web analytics
Question - - Whats your worst exploring injury? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Whats your worst exploring injury?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

soy

28DL Member
28DL Member
tl;dr be nice to your knees.

The first time I went to Europe, the very first day we arrived, we'd been exploring an abandoned airport for about 7 hours and had just gotten to the back portion where the hangars were. The grass was a little annoying so we thought it'd be easier to step down into the channel next to the tram line and walk that way - but it was dark and I misjudged the depth, so ended up jarring my knee wearing a 12kg pack, and fell on my face with my DSLR in hand. It felt like I'd broken my knee, I'd heard something pop and felt something twist inside it. After a while I managed to stand and limp out of the airfield, and we continued our 2 month eurotrip with me hobbling along the whole way. I later found out this was ACL tear #1 - #2 and #3 were equally uneventful, both happening when jumping over a fence, and numbers 4 onward will come from something else boring I'm sure. The human knee is terribly designed and fragile, so make sure you take good care of yours!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Honestly I really should have been injured far worse than I have been over the last fifteen years, I've got incredibly lucky in a few scenarios that should have done a lot more damage to me than they did.

Slipping on a horrible floor in Springfield Brewery a few years ago I went arse over tit and landed flat on my back on a concrete floor, which had I not been wearing a backpack that cushioned my fall would 100% have resulted in me smashing the back of my head on a concrete floor. As it was I lay there in a slight daze as my very concerned friend rushed over to see if I was OK as he was ahead of me and only heard the thump as I went down, after a minute or so I got back up and was most disappointed to see that my camera and tripod had landed in a pile of pigeon shit and the petal hood had become jammed onto the lens, I ended up having to cut it off with a hacksaw when I got home.

Falling through the floor of the hotel in the Catskills (see the oh shit thread) I managed to slice my thumb open on a part of the floor.

Whilst climbing into the hospital incinerator/boiler house at RAF Upper Heyford I lost my footing on the side of the ladder and like a pendulum swung round into the sharpened end of a metal pole that formed part of the rather OTT security measures, luckily all I ended up with was a large bruise on my thigh thanks to thick jeans.

Probably the worst injury I've sustained though was whilst trying to get into a college somewhere in south Wales, I slipped down a deceptive bank and on landing my foot stopped in the mud and I didn't, resulting in a really badly twisted ankle. I realised I could barely walk afterwards so with some help made it back to the car and went to the hotel and asked at reception if they had any frozen peas or anything to put it on ice, and the next day the pain and swelling had gone down just enough to allow me to hobble very slowly and carefully around Tower Colliery.

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nothing too exciting from me, which I suppose is a good thing.

In 2017 we were on a lower part of the roof of the old Necton Diner on the A47 between Swaffham and Kings Lynn, and there were people nearby trying to scare us (it certainly worked) they saw us and were throwing stuff so I just jumped off the lower part of the roof into loads of nettles and tyres. It bloody hurt, luckily just some minor cuts and bruises.

Second one, me and Jake were at Octel Bromine Works, we were in the main large pump house we were then walking out and at head height there is a large rusting steel bar going across the entrance, I wasn't looking where I was going and smashed my head into it, I fell to the ground, glasses literally snapped in half from the impact and I couldn't even speak for like 10 seconds. How it didn't knock me out I do not know... my eyesight is diabolical so I can't see anything without glasses, Jake had to go to a nearby shop to get some super glue and tape to temporarily fix my glasses. They lasted for about a week or so until needing an emergency replacement. Had a big ol bump on the head for a few days but was alright after that. Definitely lost about 20% of brain cells though I reckon.

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Slipped a disc in my lower back after loosing my footing climbing out of a train carriage window in Leicester.

Cracked a rib yeeting myself through a metal framed window at Denbigh.

Both not fun things to injure, all part of the game though I guess.

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Pierced my foot on a spike.
n3qhL3cuzeFc.gif

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Fell through a floor hitting the lower floor beams. Tore 4 intercoastal muscles off the ribs, bruised spleen and a liver bleed. :face

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Not really had any apart from a few cuts and bruises and bangs which everyone gets. A few close shaves though, but thankful I ain't done any serious damage.

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Scar on my arm from a shard of glass climbing through a window at cefn coed.

Jumped from a window cill straight onto an up wards facing nail straight in the big toe at Birmingham methodist hall.