real time web analytics
Which 35mm film would you recommend? | Photography and Video Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Which 35mm film would you recommend?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Just to add - I've recently taken some indoor low light pics on Kentmere 400 and it's reminded me that ilford HP5+ performs noticably better in those conditions, so is probably worth spending the extra couple of quid if you're using it somewhere derpy where the lighting isn't great.

The Kentmere stuff tends to work better when you've got decent light imho

TheTimeChamber

Torch Wavker
Regular User
I prefer Ilford Delta 100 for B&W, and Porta 400 or Cinestill for colour negative. Gave up with slide film, scanning was too problematic for me

52905010453_a0bd3ed52a_c.jpg

Verti

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just to add - I've recently taken some indoor low light pics on Kentmere 400 and it's reminded me that ilford HP5+ performs noticably better in those conditions, so is probably worth spending the extra couple of quid if you're using it somewhere derpy where the lighting isn't great.

The Kentmere stuff tends to work better when you've got decent light imho
Hmmm ok, thanks. I've got the Kentmere already so I might as well run it through and see what comes out.

Hopefully once I get around to developing and scanning and whatnot I can score some constructive criticism and take it from there.

What's derpy? To me a derp is a stupid, annoying or otherwise contemptible person.

Last edited:

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Hmmm ok, thanks. I've got the Kentmere already so I might as well run it through and see what comes out.

Hopefully once I get around to developing and scanning and whatnot I can score some constructive criticism and take it from there.

What's derpy? To me a derp is a stupid, annoying or otherwise contemptible person.
Derp = derelict place

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Kentmere is definitely a great budget film to learn with before dipping into more expensive stocks. Personnaly I like Ilford HP5+ for everyday stuff and Delta 100 if its for something a bit more special but I love any of the Ilford B&W films to be honest.

Colour film wise I've always been a fan of Kodak Ektar 100. Prices on that (well pretty much all Kodak films really) have gone a bit mental now but it's a beautiful fine grain colour film and I love it for long exposure night stuff.

If you don't already have a dedicated light meter I'd recomend looking at some of the light meter apps on your smart phone, especially if your shooting low light stuff. Really helped me with getting decent exposures when I first started shooting film.

Have fun with it though and please post some stuff up in the film forum, always love to see more film!

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have a light meter for sale if anyone wants it, I will post details later today when I have finished work

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
It so much depends on your situation, but my favourites are reala, ektar, acros, neopan and ektarchrome. honourable mention for old velvia too.

Just wish I was brave enough to use film properly for exploring, but I rarely am.