real time web analytics
Report - - Whitchurch Hospital, Cardiff - April, September & October 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Whitchurch Hospital, Cardiff - April, September & October 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Where do I start with Whitchurch. 4 visits, 3 sleepovers, 2 run-ins with the dogs, one day stuck in the city centre accused of being a vagrant. Fun times and lots of great memories.

Visit 1 in April with prettyvacant71, @jsp77 and our friend Lady Pandora back in the good old days when security were active and the cameras worked etc. but we had a nice long relaxing day undisturbed inside.

Visit 2 in April happened after myself and pv71 bumped into @Salmon and @clebby in the X-ray room at another hospital. We ended up going along to Whitchurch with them and got them inside. Myself and pv71 stayed the night and woke up to a dog in our faces, all because another explorer had been spotted on camera climbing the fence at 5.30am. Despite discovering us asleep and leaving us be, they picked him up quickly and he decided to be a true gent and make our whereabouts known to the lovely lady with little puppy dog, resulting in myself and prettyvagrant71 being taken down town, so cheers for that ya fucking grass!

Visit 3 in September I stayed the night alone and was joined by @Grom and one of his mates who I’d met before and @mookster plus a couple of his mates, great to meet you both. Mookster and his mates missed all the drama and had a nice chilled day. I got Grom and his mate out after spotting what I though was security inside, and after deciding to stay behind alone I was quickly collared by that stranger and his two big hounds. Luckily he was a lovely chap and after chatting for 20 mins or so I was on my way.

Visit 4 in October with pv71 and @jsp77, my flatmate and her best mate came along for the ride too. That was the weekend the hole in the fence got repaired, a ridiculous amount of security were inside the fence with a dog, and things got a little bit more difficult again. Great fun! We bumped into @CookieRaider. I forgot everyone else’s screen names but it was great to meet you all. Somehow we all got in and out unseen. Good times! :D

So yeah, lots of great memories with friends that I will laugh about for a long long time! Glad I got to see it before the summer holidays when the kids got in. And I am really happy I got to see (I think) pretty much the whole place.

Some history:

Formerly the Cardiff City Mental Hospital, Whitchurch Asylum. Built in 1908, cost £350,000, and took ten years to build. It was built as a fully self contained institute, with a power house, water tower and farm.

During WW2 part of the hospital was used as a military hospital, treating US, UK and German military personnel. The hospital retained 200 beds for public use which enabled the early treatment of PTSD of military patients.

In the early 2000's a programme was put into place, which was to eventually phase out the current and aging building, and fully replace services, as the hospital was becoming unfit for purpose for the time.

Plans for residential developments on the site had originally been brought up in the mind 90's, and provisionally agreed in 2001. In 2012, the planning permission for this scheme as renewed of another 4 years, which brings us to 2016, when the last remaining services in the hospital left and were relocated, and the hospital scheduled to be "dismantled" and redeveloped.

rPJ5R9vh.jpg

GZTRRydh.jpg

Z6g8HrRh.jpg

iEzgrDSh.jpg

April:

jz4sn4Kh.jpg

September:

oxisc9dh.jpg

April:

JBWk47Sh.jpg

September:

zTybr8Wh.jpg

AQ79I5Bh.jpg

lpd1Gd1h.jpg

6wT8bbgh.jpg

qBvWso3h.jpg

SkimFOSh.jpg

b4m5IsTh.jpg

zAkdEPzh.jpg

D2E19kWh.jpg

JSs6McFh.jpg

PnQFBzoh.jpg

T3J2gOxh.jpg

mSnoPYPh.jpg

7vvQFvBh.jpg

LAJhyAjh.jpg

GFqYgYyh.jpg

vl0wXgwh.jpg

UyVoCJAh.jpg

hubXSRgh.jpg

3VfXyt0h.jpg

rcuYdyoh.jpg

hU7lNdKh.jpg

HRA0uhRh.jpg

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Fantastic work. Was great to explore with you finally, we certainly got lucky with our timing that day!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nice round up for sure, always good to see places covered properly depsite the fuss/hassle getting them done :thumb

Sounds like the old vagrancy chestnut was the best excuse they had here by all accounts :rolleyes:

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice round up for sure, always good to see places covered properly depsite the fuss/hassle getting them done :thumb

Sounds like the old vagrancy chestnut was the best excuse they had here by all accounts :rolleyes:
Yeah even the staff at the station though it was a load of nonsense. I had no idea the place was being used for training, think they just saw an opportunity to use it as an exercise with live bait.

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
I’ve been called far worse things! I only kept going back so I could get externals!
At least you didn't spend three days there, cover the place the really well and then go home and somehow delete all your pictures and have to go back to reshoot it only to find lots had been smashed up!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Yeah even the staff at the station though it was a load of nonsense. I had no idea the place was being used for training, think they just saw an opportunity to use it as an exercise with live bait.

I still think it was an incredible coincidence that you ran into the same person who grassed you up to the police before by total chance when we were there. You couldn't have made that up!

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
At least you didn't spend three days there, cover the place the really well and then go home and somehow delete all your pictures and have to go back to reshoot it only to find lots had been smashed up!
Fuck!! Yeah that’s worse than getting nicked haha!

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member

Ouch the sudden demise over August/Sept time was brutal. For a few weekends it was just smashed to pieces. Couldn’t believe the difference two weekends apart. Then they bring in security and dog patrols - good idea that, just a bit late chaps!

Still more to come from here I’m sure, although it’s now stripped inside completely :(

Who has read this thread (Total: 205) View details