real time web analytics
Report - - Wigan Underground - WW2 Bunker | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wigan Underground - WW2 Bunker

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
After hearing rumours of a WW2 bunker in Wigan I decided to go take a look. After originally meeting up with a guy I know from the area we went for a mooch where one of the believed entrances were concealed.

Originally opened in 1938, there isn't much history I can find for this place, but looking at the access I would say that it was used possibly by the forces as well as the public from nearby houses?

Constructed of blast proof concrete this underground network of tunnels was quite substantial and could easily house between at least 200 people comfortably if not more.

I did manage to find this old photo of one of the public entrances nearby, which is now sadly sealed and gone forever.

Air_raid.jpg

After using a makeshift sling out of some discarded rope, we managed to scale this great big iron fence in order to reach our intended destination, needles to say it wasn't long before we spotted the access point.

In no time we were down the ladder and underground once again. This bunker was relatively small compared to others I have visited, but is always interesting to experience first hand how people spent their time during the blitz.

Unfortunately all other entrances were capped or built over, and as you can see from the photos many sections of tunnel have been backfilled.

Todays access looked more like an escape hatch or some kind of 'forces' entrance.
_1012169.jpg

I am fascinated by such places and hope to see more like it over time, and indeed if anyone has any more info about such places then please feel free to share.

Thanks for looking :thumb

_1012162.jpg

_1012167.jpg

Backfilled Tunnels - Some accessible (Just)
_1012138.jpg

_1012139.jpg

_1012141.jpg

_1012144.jpg

Lonely Chairs
_1012136.jpg

Air Shaft
_1012146.jpg

Oil Drum
_1012147.jpg

Passageway, with gate possibly leading to public section?
_1012152.jpg

Smoking or Non-Smoking
_1012155.jpg

'Searching for water'
_1012156.jpg

Darkness.....
_1012140.jpg

Last edited: