real time web analytics
General - - Wiltshire Quarries - All closing down? | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Wiltshire Quarries - All closing down?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Within the past week Brewers Yard quarry has been sealed. A sticker on the new gate says "Hansons. In emergency phone ********". Having seen it myself, it will be closed for some time :mad It's a a thorough job.

I am hearing gossip today that the backdoor entrance to Box quarry has been padlocked and again the mysterious "Hanson" sticker on the gate. Will check personally myself tomorrow and report back here.

I assume Hansons is a quarrying company?

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some more info on uk caving
I have spoken today with Hanson and have posted the information to the CSCC Website
http://cscc.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=news:start

I have been in communication with Hanson concerning this issue.
It appears the site was locked after several high profile incidents concerning groups getting lost and having to be released by the police and emergency services. Hanson have indicated that they want to work with the caving and mine exploring community to maintain legitimate access to the site but are concerned about their liability.

I am in discussion with Hanson and will report back as soon as there is more information.

Les Williams
CSCC C&A Officer.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
It appears the site was locked after several high profile incidents concerning groups getting lost and having to be released by the police and emergency services.

I've not heard anything on the news about groups of people getting lost in mines this last year. Awesomely bad news though, lets hope some arrangement can be reached.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Not good news, especially about Box. Would be good to confirm sources and see some pictures, please.

rigsby

Chatbox Mong
28DL Full Member
Sounds like locks have gone from Box. Will try to get over there the weekend to check it out + access to other Quarries

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It's twits like him posting stuff such as that which don't contribute anything meaningful to the bigger picture!

popeass1

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Box is still open. Ridge is closed, as is brewers yard. Hanson were responsible for Box, but the lock didn't last 12 hours!
No ones sure about brewers, but ridge was due to vandalism at the yard at the top of the shaft.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
In not surprised about some of the comments to be honest, especially some of the shit that goes on. The link referred to on here is a bit unfair though, nothing there but a bit of exploring. FFS even the most experienced people still get lost down there to some degree, let's not forget.

Everyone else is better than us though.

How many people in box the other weekend on an organized trip?

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The 302 'definites' facebook group was pulled 2 day's after I pointed it out, I wonder if it still went ahead indeed :rolleyes:

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
In not surprised about some of the comments to be honest, especially some of the shit that goes on. The link referred to on here is a bit unfair though, nothing there but a bit of exploring. FFS even the most experienced people still get lost down there to some degree, let's not forget.

Everyone else is better than us though.

How many people in box the other weekend on an organized trip?

Yes what is wrong with these ignorant bellends, we are the dog that they like to kick and I bet the fool who posted the link probably has never been in box or Browns or even Wiltshire, but regardless it aint looking Rosie although looking through the shite, hopefully Hanson will see the light and work with exploring community.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Feeling a bit dumb, we really want to explore mines and do it right which we thought we were. Booking the guide the quarrymans recommend to us for our next trip if we can get back down again.

EDIT: You're right. we had the right gear, the survey, compasses and sensible heads. We didn't leave any mess in there at all and properly locked the grate behind us when we went in and left.

Last edited: