real time web analytics
Report - - Wind Tunnel Testing Site - RAE Bedford - June 2012 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wind Tunnel Testing Site - RAE Bedford - June 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
A few years back I was looking at one of those film location web sites and came across some weird industrial complex that looked a fair bit like Pyestock. It was listed as “An industrial location 30 miles outside London”. I had no idea where it was or about its past history but it sure as hell looked interesting, all sort of Bakelite Flash Gordon dials and switches.

A couple of months ago later I was reading an old 1950’s book about breaking the sound barrier which had a section on wind tunnels. I happened to Google wind tunnels which dragged up load of photo bucket pictures someone had loaded up which I recognized as the same site in the film location web site. They were taken some time back in 2004, shortly before the site was largely dismantled; only rather fortunately they had given the location.

I happened to mention it to Northern Ninja, showed him the pictures and we discussed about going. I didn't really get my hopes up to high as the site lies smack bang in the middle of an extremely live area sporting the usual 24 hour security with people, cars and lorries going about their business pretty much from sunrise to sunset. We had organized a little road trip to take in of a few places around Bedford so we added it to the list, thinking a visit might be nothing more than a recce. As things turned out, Lady Luck smiled on us, I mean she really did give us a major break, probably one of the most serendipitous explores I've ever had.

There isn't a vast amount of history on this site, mainly a few mentions in some obscure forums, but it looks like construction was started after the war and quite of bit of the equipment seems to have been “liberated” from Germany. Things carried on until the site was closed back in 2004. Quite a bit of the equipment has been “recycled” and is now used by Bodyflight Indoor Skydiving and the Red Bull motor racing team.

Amway, enough of that.

On arrival, it's a familiar story, a big impressive space with the lifting gear still in place but on the whole fairly stripped out. It's clear to see where the wind tunnel entered the building and where the aircraft testing chamber would have been placed. The motors to provide the compressed air would have sat on the plinth to the right.

IMGP7215copy.jpg

Poking about under the plinth.
IMGP7217copy.jpg

Standing where the test chamber would have been.
IMGP7166copy.jpg

Then it's up the lifting gear.
IMGP7229copy.jpg

Long way down.
IMGP7231copy.jpg

Down one end of the hall it's clear the place has been used as a film set.
IMGP7237copy.jpg

IMGP7235copy.jpg

IMGP7234copy.jpg

The spares store room. Empty apart from the shelving.
IMGP7210copy.jpg

IMGP7211copy.jpg

There is a goodish amount of paper work still left in situ.
IMGP7309copy.jpg

IMGP7307copy.jpg

IMGP7266.jpg

IMGP7265.jpg

IMGP7264.jpg

IMGP7208copy.jpg

Last edited:

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Re: Wind Tunnels - Milton Ernest - June 2012

In the pictures I saw on the locations web site there were some ones of a couple of very nice Control Rooms and they didn’t disappoint once we found them. The first one was the Wind Tunnel Monitoring room which unfortunately didn’t really have very good light, just two small internal windows, so the pictures have come out a bit on the strange side.

Anyway, I’m going to let them do the talking from now on in…

IMGP7212copy.jpg

IMGP7179copy.jpg

IMGP7259copy.jpg

IMGP7257copy.jpg

IMGP7256copy.jpg

IMGP7255copy.jpg

IMGP7250copy.jpg

IMGP7248copy.jpg

IMGP7246copy.jpg

IMGP7213copy.jpg

IMGP7176copy.jpg

Last edited:

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Re: Wind Tunnels - Milton Ernest - June 2012

The second Control Room was used to monitor the Power Station.

IMGP7209copy.jpg

IMGP7184copy.jpg

IMGP7283copy.jpg

IMGP7276copy.jpg

IMGP7196copy.jpg

IMGP7272copy.jpg

IMGP7270copy.jpg

IMGP7269copy.jpg

IMGP7267copy.jpg

IMGP7268copy.jpg

IMGP7190copy.jpg

IMGP7189copy.jpg