real time web analytics
Report - - Winterton Hospital, Sedgefield - July 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Winterton Hospital, Sedgefield - July 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Foxyfemale95

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So I'm new to this site and trying to do some exploring of a few places around England close to where I live and I found this place.

County of Durham Asylum, Sedgefield Asylum, Sedgefield Mental Hospital

History

A site for the Durham county asylum was purchased in 1855 at Far Winterton to the north of Sedgefield which had been occupied by Well Garth Farm and Winterton Mill. Designed by John Howison, a 300 bed, 3 storey corridor plan asylum, facing south was erected comprising of central administrative block, chapel and superintendent’s quarters surmounted by a clock tower, with male wards to the west, females to the east and services behind.
It opened 3th April 1858 and closed on the 1st of April 1998, all the buildings have been demolished apart from the one it's a listed building and all the entrances have metal shutters on.
So when we finally got in it was a good little find unfortunately it was covered in asbestos and
people don't look after the place when visiting it. It's been vandalised with graffiti and what looks to me is a if someone stated a fire.
This is what pictures I have managed to get using my phone but this is what it looks like now.

Thanks for reading, like I said I'm new to this and doing my best

Screenshot_20180728-171545~4.jpg

Screenshot_20180728-172439~2.jpg

Screenshot_20180728-172535~2.jpg

Screenshot_20180728-172538~2.jpg

Screenshot_20180728-172524.png

Screenshot_20180728-172505.png

Screenshot_20180728-172553.jpg

Screenshot_20180728-172618~2.jpg

Foxyfemale95

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
New update
we decided to revisit the site on this date 18/8/18 to go have another look at night and as we got there it has been all fenced off and security on the site with and JCBs aswell. Not sure what is happening there.

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Not much to see there, but interesting to see one no-one has done before (as far I know).

Foxyfemale95

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh n
Not much to see there, but interesting to see one no-one has done before (as far I know).

Oh no there isn't much there at all, but where I am located there really isn't alot about unfortunately haha and no I dont think they have no.

demble

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I thought there was a housing estate that covered the whole site? Didnt realise there was anything left of the hospital apart from the old church.

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
you seem to have the same photos posted multiple times. Not sure if you can edit your post but should ditch any repeats.

Foxyfemale95

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
you seem to have the same photos posted multiple times. Not sure if you can edit your post but should ditch any repeats.
I know I not sure how to take them off properly think I may need to have a look on a pc instead of my phone.

Foxyfemale95

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I know I not sure how to take them off properly think I may need to have a look on a pc instead of my phone.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
A good first attempt and well done for persevering with the editing.. I've removed the duplicate image attachments and changed the formatting for you..

If you take advantage of the preview button next time you compose a thread, it will make it much easier and you will be able to spot any duplicates or formatting issues and fix them before you post.

Any further help you require, feel free to ask as it's sometimes a bit of a faff getting going with these things :thumb

Scurrymann

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi. Fyi...This building wasn't part of Winterton Psychiatric Hospital, (or Sedgefield Asylum). This site was part of Sedgefield Community Hospital, created in the 1940's to support those returning from the Second World War. It then became part of the NHS until relocated in early 2000's. The building above was demolished, since this story, not being a listed building. Sadly all of the old asylum buildings are long gone.

Phillo67

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi.
I was a resident in this building in the early 80’s and I can fully understand your confusion in thinking that this building was part of the Sedgefield Community Hospital. This was situated very close to the afore mentioned hospital but it was actually part of Winterton Hospital. The building was known as the Forensic Unit and was set up by a Dr David Westwell a highly respected Forensic Psychologist. The unit was set up to accommodate a dozen adolescent males between the ages of 12 and 16 years old with psychological and mental problems. The unit was serviced by the main hospital who supplied meals and all other services. I remember myself and other boys having to hand wheel a large cart between the unit and the main hospital to pick up supplies. The Community Hospital buildings were directly behind the Forensic Unit they were like second world war buildings leading to the front of the Community Hospital and the main road between Fishbun and Sedgefield. Directly opposite the front of the unit was Fishburn Coke Works. It’s my understanding the Forensic Unit came about in the late 70’s by Dr Westwell. Following his death in 1986 the building was renamed the David Westwell Centre in his honour.

Misslea

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi.
I was a resident in this building in the early 80’s and I can fully understand your confusion in thinking that this building was part of the Sedgefield Community Hospital. This was situated very close to the afore mentioned hospital but it was actually part of Winterton Hospital. The building was known as the Forensic Unit and was set up by a Dr David Westwell a highly respected Forensic Psychologist. The unit was set up to accommodate a dozen adolescent males between the ages of 12 and 16 years old with psychological and mental problems. The unit was serviced by the main hospital who supplied meals and all other services. I remember myself and other boys having to hand wheel a large cart between the unit and the main hospital to pick up supplies. The Community Hospital buildings were directly behind the Forensic Unit they were like second world war buildings leading to the front of the Community Hospital and the main road between Fishbun and Sedgefield. Directly opposite the front of the unit was Fishburn Coke Works. It’s my understanding the Forensic Unit came about in the late 70’s by Dr Westwell. Following his death in 1986 the building was renamed the David Westwell Centre in his honour.
Hi, I was a resident in the early 90's when it became mixed, the boys were on one side of the building and the girls on the other.
It was classed as a semi secure unit when I was there, we could be physically restrained by staff who worked there, not a place I enjoyed being at and have few memories not at all good though.
There was a snooker table in one of the end rooms, the door was never unlocked and we were never allowed in, rumour has it that room was haunted .
We were only allowed out with staff and the furthest we went too was Fishburn Co-op.
Has this building been demolished now

Who has read this thread (Total: 279) View details